UI Bugs (possibly) and guidance

lewpiper
lewpiper
Community Member

I have several questions, some of which may be caused by the fact that I am running macOS 10.12 public beta, but I may be wrong.

The first of which seems to be a bug next to All Items which counts the number of items in the vault. It is only displaying the first digit of my 3 digit item count. For example I have 356 items in my vault and it just displays 3.. instead of the full number. Is this a known bug that is being worked on?

The second thing I have noticed, is that when I go to print my database for safe keeping the icons that I have manually searched for and placed in the app for certain logins, do not seem to reflect in the print out. Instead they are replaced with the standard logins icon default. For some reason ones I made years ago do seem to be there, but newly created logins (less than 18 months old) drop their icons. Is this a known bug as well or something that is new?

Finally this just a general question questions about the direction of agilebits. I really like the idea of the new subscriptions and I am honestly happy to support the company in this way. However, when I did the trial I needed my vault password and emergency kit key every time I used 1Password from the web. It seemed like I needed the emergency key at every turn, in all honesty. Which to me that seems like one of the biggest upsides to the whole service is that there is a way in, without having to remember something like my iCloud password first. The likelihood I would remember that key is very slim though, due to the randomness of the key itself. Does anyone have any best practices for this, or is this just a fact of life, and there is not much of a way around that? For right now this is the one thing that is holding me back from just taking the plunge towards the new subscriptions.

Any help would be great.

Thank you

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: 4.5.8
OS Version: 10.12 GM (Public Beta)
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lewpiper

Thank you for your report on the issues you've found in 1Password while using it on the Beta OS. It looks to me like you're not using Betas for 1Password as well, so I'd recommend you to go full on Beta and enable them ;) You can see how to do that here: https://support.1password.com/install-beta/

After you've started using Betas, could you please check again if you still experience the same problems? This will give us a better starting point to solve these issues.

About your third point, I noticed particularly this:

It seemed like I needed the emergency key at every turn, in all honesty.

You need your Emergency Kit/Account Key when you are setting up your new devices, and you're right, nobody expects you to memorise it! For example when you first start using your account or when you get the brand new iPhone on the mail ;) Once you've set them up once you won't need to do it again, even to access your account in your computer's browser you should set it to remember it.

Did you have any trouble getting your devices to remember your Account Key? Or do you mean that you need it when you try to use it on a public or new browser? The reason why you need your Account Key in these cases is because it's a crucial element in the security of your data, it helps encrypt it and makes it so that anybody who needs to access it will need to get 2 pieces of information and not only one. If you have something like a mobile device where you've added your 1Password account then you always have the Account Key in your pocket. I'm not sure if I was able to address all of your concerns, but if there's anything else that you'd like to talk about or that you'd like me to expand on, just let me know :chuffed:

I hope to hear back from you and know both, what you discover with the Beta version of 1Password as well as your thoughts on the Account Key.

• lewpiper
    lewpiper
    Community Member

Hi @Pilar
    Sorry to get back to you so late. So I saw the update to the Mac AppStore version of 1Password yesterday and updated. That resolved the All Items counter UI issue which is awesome. I am still seeing the printing issue of the icons not showing up correctly after updating.
    My question regarding the account key was more related to a public or new browser. For example at my place of work the browser is reset every night using some scripts. I assume the account key is kept in cache or something and thus it seemed to be lost or forgotten every day I went back to sign in. Is this the normal behavior if the browser history, cache, and cookies are reset?

• Hi @lewpiper ,

Yes, this is to be expected. The account key is never sent to the server, so in order for it to be available, it is stored in browser storage. So if that storage is reset every day, the account key will go along with it.

Regards,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.