How to upgrade 1Password 2.12.1 for OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

lindsgant
lindsgant
Community Member

I just updated my MAC to OS X 10.11.6 but my 1Password application is now not compatible. How do I upgrade so that it can work on my current operating system? It looks like I'm several versions behind. I have a lot of passwords that I need access to!

1Password Version: 2.12.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password 2

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lindsgant,

Thanks for writing in to ask us about this! I know that 1Password 3 has some incompatibilities with El Capitan, so I imagine 1Password 2 must be even less compatible there. But 1Password 6 (currently the latest version) fully supports El Capitan, and we'll be happy to help you upgrade. :)

The first thing you'll need to do is make sure your 1Password 2 data has been migrated to the Agile Keychain format. Are you able to launch the 1Password 2 app at all? If not, please let us know. But if possible, open 1Password 2 and go to 1Password > Preferences > Keychain. On the Keychain tab, you will see one of the following buttons at the bottom:

• If the button says "Switch to Agile Keychain Format", click it and follow the steps to migrate your data to the Agile Keychain format.

• If the button says "Switch Back to OS X Keychain Format", DO NOT click it (your data is already in the correct format).

Either way, you should end up with your data in a .agilekeychain file. The default location of that file is: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain (You can leave it there.)

If all goes well up to this point, you can download the 1Password 6 for Mac app from our download site. Unzip the downloaded file if necessary, then move 1Password 6.app to the Applications folder on your Mac. When you open 1Password 6, it should find your Agile Keychain in the above location and give you the option to choose it (if not, click the option to find your data elsewhere, then find & select the .agilekeychain file).

Hopefully it all works as expected and you now have your data in 1Password 6. If so, the next thing you'll need to do is decide whether to purchase an upgrade to a license for 1Password 6 or sign up for a 1Password account - but you don't need to do that yet, so let's make sure your data migrates correctly first. If you run into any problems trying to follow my steps above, just describe what happens (or doesn't happen) and we'll continue from there. Cheers! :)

• lindsgant
    lindsgant
    Community Member

Thank you for the detailed instructions! I was able to migrate my data.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lindsgant

On behalf of Drew, you're very welcome! It's great to hear that everything went well for you in the migration process and that you're now using the most recent version of 1Password :chuffed: If there's anything else that we can help you with, we're always here for you!

This discussion has been closed.