Laptop not synced, master password outdated

macbender
macbender
Community Member

My wife has 1P and has synced through dropbox successfully on multiple devices. She made a change to master password a few months ago which has successfully synced on main desktop computer and devices. We are on the road and she has a MBPro (all updated) the the uses only rarely when on the road. The MBPro evidently has not been synced in a while and she can't log in to 1PW as she does not remember the old master PW. We are able to see recent backups and tried to restore (thinking it would change master PW to updated one but this didn't allow her to log in to 1 PW. She needs laptop access for her workflow (she does have access to all passwords on iDevices). I'm hoping theres an easy fix for this- like some type of restore- or even delete and reinstall. Thanks in advance!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @macbender,

I'm sorry to hear your wife isn't able to unlock 1Password on her MacBook Pro! I think I can help get things working again.

After changing the master password on one device, the old master password needs to be entered one more time on other devices before the new one works. This is because 1Password doesn't sync with Dropbox until after it has been unlocked. After syncing changes, it will require the new master password the next time it needs to be unlocked.

However, you said your wife no longer remembers her old master password. The backups on that MacBook are copies of the local 1Password data on that Mac, so they also require the old master password. But you should be able to reset 1Password on the MacBook Pro and then set it up again by syncing with Dropbox, because the sync file in Dropbox should be associated with the new master password. Resetting 1Password on that MacBook will remove all the local 1Password data stored there, but as long as all her latest 1Password data is in Dropbox, she won't lose anything.

To reset the 1Password app on the MacBook Pro, simply open it and choose Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data from the menubar, then follow the on-screen instructions. After that, the next time you launch 1Password, it should be like running it for the first time. Choose to sync with the data from Dropbox and enter the new master password when prompted.

Does that help? Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• macbender
    macbender
    Community Member

That worked...thanks a bunch!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @macbender

On behalf of Drew, you're very welcome! I hope everything goes well with 1Password for you from now on, but if you need us for anything else, you know where to find us :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.