Can't use new Master Password on iPad

gbengtson
gbengtson
Community Member

I thought I was being real smart and changed my Master Password and then the next day couldn't remember it. I was able to resolve the issue on my Mac and iPhone using my original password. However that hasn't worked for my iPad. What can I do?

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: 4.5.8
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Can't use new Master Password on iPad

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gbengtson

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with your Master Password. If I understand correctly all your is data is on your iPhone and Mac, is this is correct? If this is the case, it sounds like the easiest way to deal with this is to delete the app from your iPad, download it again and set it up. When you open the app for the first time pick the option "Use without an Account", the next screen will guide you to set up syncing.

Please let us know how this goes for you, and if you need help with anything else :chuffed:

• gbengtson
    gbengtson
    Community Member

That was a very good solution. Thanks.

• gbengtson
    gbengtson
    Community Member

Well unfortunately my problem continues. My desktop and iPhone are both sharing the same vault through Dropbox and with the same Master Password. When I deleted 1Password from my iPad and re-downloaded it I mistakenly selected a previous vault I no longer use but is still present on my Desktop and it accepted the same password as for the Mac Desktop and iPhone. When I choose to change to the other vault it is prompting me for the Master Password I changed to and then forgot. The thing that is puzzling is that the iPad is expecting a Master Password that doesn't match with the iPhone or Mac Desktop. How can I sync the iPad to the other vault and with the same Master Password as what I use for the Mac Desktop and the iPhone? If you are confused over this so am I.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gbengtson,

It sounds like your sync file in Dropbox is associated with the new master password, which is why you're being asked for it on your iPad when you try to add/sync that vault. Fortunately, you're still able to unlock 1Password on your Mac and iPhone with the old master password (until you unlock it on those devices with the new master password, the old one will continue to work).

Before doing anything else, you should make a new backup of the 1Password data on your Mac. To do that, just open the main 1Password app on your Mac and go to File > Backup. That will open the Backup preferences and show all your backups, including the new one you just made.

When you're ready, the following steps will help you to reset your 1Password data in Dropbox so it's associated with your old master password (the one you remember):

On your Mac:

• Open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu bar.
    • Click the Sync tab, then change the sync from Dropbox to None.
    • Click the box to Delete data from Dropbox, then click Disable Sync.
    • Open the Dropbox folder on your Mac and make sure the sync file for that vault has been deleted.
    • In 1Password, go back to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    • Select Dropbox from the “Sync Primary vault with” pop-up menu.
    • Click the Choose button and select your main Dropbox folder (then click Open).
    • Click Create New to create a new .opvault sync file in Dropbox.
    • Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

Your iPhone should stop syncing when it realizes the old sync file was removed from Dropbox, and will give you an error message about that (which is expected). You can follow these steps to re-enable Dropbox sync:

On your iPhone:

• Open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Start Syncing > Sync with Dropbox.
    • When you see your Dropbox account name, tap on the name (do not tap on the 'i' icon).
    • When asked to choose a vault, choose the new .opvault sync file you created.

Finally, on your iPad, you can delete & reinstall the 1Password app again. This time, when you set it up, choose the new .opvault sync file in Dropbox. It should accept your old master password.

Please let us know how it all goes, and if you have questions about any of that. Thanks! :)

• gbengtson
    gbengtson
    Community Member

Thank you for these suggestions. On Saturday I decided to take matters into my own hands and changed my
    Sync from Dropbox to iCloud to see if that would solve the problem with the iPad. It did and now my old password is working on all of my devices. But I would really like to have the Dropbox as my Sync. Are there any negative outcomes to be aware of if I want to change back to Dropbox now and would I follow your directions above or something different as a result of my current status using iCloud?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gbengtson,

I'm glad to hear switching to iCloud helped you sync your 1Password data to your iPad!

The reason that worked is because the new sync data that was created in your iCloud account is associated with your old master password (which is because you still use your old master password on your Mac and iPhone). So it's essentially the same basic concept as the steps I gave you to create new sync data in Dropbox.

There are a few more steps involved with Dropbox though, because you already have existing sync data in Dropbox that is associated with your new master password (which you don't remember). To avoid confusion, I included steps to delete that existing sync data from Dropbox first, before creating new sync data.

If you'd like to switch back to Dropbox, that's no problem! The steps will be slightly different. Before changing the sync settings, you should remove the old sync file from Dropbox if you haven't already done so. When you changed the sync setting from Dropbox to iCloud, do you remember if you enabled the option for "Delete data from Dropbox"? If not, just open the Dropbox folder on your Mac, find the existing/old sync file, and delete it. It will be a .agilekeychain or .opvault file, and it's usually found in ~/Dropbox/, ~/Dropbox/1Password/, or ~/Dropbox/Apps/1Password/.

Next, you can follow these steps:

On your Mac:

• Open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    • Change the sync from iCloud to Dropbox.
    • Click Disable Sync (for now, don't worry about the Delete data from iCloud option).
    • Click the Choose button and select your main Dropbox folder (then click Open).
    • Click Create New to create a new 1Password.opvault file in /Dropbox/Apps/1Password/.
    • Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

On your iPhone and iPad:

• Open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Primary > Sync Service.
    • Tap Disable Sync and confirm you want to disable it.
    • Tap Start Syncing, then choose Sync with Dropbox.
    • When you see your Dropbox account name, tap on the name (do not tap on the 'i' icon).
    • When asked to choose a vault, choose the new 1Password.opvault file you created.
    • Choose to merge your data if prompted.
    • Enter your (old) master password if prompted.

Let us know if you run into any trouble with that or have questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.