Multiple iOS- and macOS-Devices... + one Windows PC

Options
core
core
Community Member

Unfortunately for my study I need to work with a Windows-Notebook. Now I would like to use 1Password for that PC as well.

My passwords are synced over iCloud for all of my devices (iOS & macOS). Now the idea was to activate the WLAN-Server on my iMac to get my Windows-Notebook synced. But, this doesn't seem to work anymore, as there is no WLAN-syncing option in +Password 6, and also this doesn't work from a PC to an iMac.

Is there ANY option to get my Notebook (Windows) synced with my iMac automatically (without losing the iCloud syncing feature for the other devices)?

Getting an account is no option at the moment.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

core.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@core: Indeed, it isn't possible to use WLAN Server to sync between computers. iCloud app data cannot sync to Windows either, so using iCloud precludes any non-Apple devices from accessing the vault in that case. And it sounds like a 1Password Account is off the table too. :(

The only other feasible options are using Folder Sync to copy it manually from the Mac to the PC (not fun), or using Dropbox to sync your 1Password data between all your devices. Apart from 1Password.com, Dropbox is the only way to do this.

• 1chipper
    1chipper
    Community Member
    Options

This has now become a problem for users. I have been a 1password user for years now (I don't think you were numbering releases when I started using it). I used to be able to sync multiple computers with my phone. Now I have something always out of date. Cloud options to me are a great revenue model for businesses, but not remotely helpful to users. Add in the constant hacking (witness dropbox, one of the cloud solutions you support). I am not ever going to sync my passwords in the cloud, whether it be your (if not yet hacked, soon to be) or someone else's. Please fix what you are now calling the WLAN option (used to be just "sync") so that it works the way it used to, instead of trying to eek more $ out of your customers by forcing them to a monthly fee cloud option. If the next version comes out that does not support this, I am afraid I'll have to say farewell to 1password and look for more customer friendly options.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

This has now become a problem for users. I have been a 1password user for years now (I don't think you were numbering releases when I started using it). I used to be able to sync multiple computers with my phone. Now I have something always out of date.

@1chipper: I'm sorry for the confusion and frustration! This is still possible, however, as always, is not something we recommend because it isn't designed to work the way you're trying to get it to. It compromises the sync state, which ends up producing conflicts, and can result in data loss. That's why there has only ever been a single space to enter a "secret" to pair the mobile app with a server.

Cloud options to me are a great revenue model for businesses, but not remotely helpful to users.

A lot of folks find automatic sync over the internet very helpful. And it seems like many are happy with free Dropbox and iCloud accounts. So I'm not sure it's fair to characterize something as not being helpful just because it isn't to your liking. To each his or her own. :chuffed:

Add in the constant hacking (witness dropbox, one of the cloud solutions you support). I am not ever going to sync my passwords in the cloud, whether it be your (if not yet hacked, soon to be) or someone else's.

Even if you did choose to store your data on 1Password.com, AgileBits never has access to your data, so someone compromising us doesn't grant them access either. Your data is encrypted on your device, so all the server ever ends up with is an encrypted blob. And since the Account Key is created locally and your Master Password is never transmitted and only known by you, no one — including AgileBits — has the means to decrypt the data. You can read more details on how all of this works in our white paper, and don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have! :sunglasses:

So in either case, your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance. 1Password just isn't subject to the risks that you imply. I'm sure that's at least part of the reason you chose 1Password in the first place: for its security! It isn't something we take lightly.

Please fix what you are now calling the WLAN option (used to be just "sync") so that it works the way it used to, instead of trying to eek more $ out of your customers by forcing them to a monthly fee cloud option. If the next version comes out that does not support this, I am afraid I'll have to say farewell to 1password and look for more customer friendly options.

The WLAN Server sync feature was renamed to reduce confusion. A lot of folks thought they had to use this when it was named "Wi-Fi Sync", because, of course, we'd prefer to use Wi-Fi rather than cellular data. However, the functionality has not changed. I'm sorry if the name change gave you the wrong impression.

Finally, no one is forced to use a 1Password subscription. We still sell licenses for the same apps, so you can stick with that if it is your preference. And more importantly your existing license never expires. Nothing has been taken away from you. You can continue using the same 1Password you always have. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.