master plan to change master PW on all devices -- master fail!

coaa
coaa
Community Member

I've been using 1password for well over a year (iOS on my phone and iPad; OS X on my Mac) and so have lots of data squirreled away. Two weeks ago, in a fit of pique, I thought it was high time to update my master password.

I did that on my iPad only ... and then life took over and I never updated it anywhere else and since then, strangely, haven't needed to launch the app on my iPad (and thus never had an opportunity to practice it elsewhere). The upshot: I cannot remember the PW on my iPad, and I'm not entirely confident that I've set up my backup systems and syncing priorities such that I can simply delete the app without affecting the data elsewhere.

I'd really like to have someone talk me through this on the phone ... is that possible?

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @coaa,

I'm sorry to hear you forgot the new master password you chose in 1Password on your iPad! We'll be happy to help you out with that.

I'd really like to have someone talk me through this on the phone ... is that possible?

We're a small team and don't have the means to provide inbound phone support, so we try our best to solve problems via forums or email if at all possible. If I understand the situation you described, it should actually be very simple to solve it.

Just to make sure I understand: You changed your master password on your iPad, but haven't synced it with 1Password on your Mac since that change, and you've forgotten the new master password so you can no longer unlock 1Password on your iPad. But you can still unlock 1Password on your Mac and iPhone, since they both still use the old master password. Is that all correct?

If so, you can solve that by simply deleting & reinstalling the 1Password app on your iPad, then set it up to sync with your Mac via WLAN again. Deleting the app from your iPad won't affect the data on your Mac or iPhone - however, it will remove the local 1Password data stored on the iPad, which means any changes you made there which hadn't synced to your Mac will be lost. (If you have all your latest 1Password data on your Mac and/or iPhone, then it's nothing to worry about.)

After reinstalling 1Password on your iPad and opening it, you'll want to choose "Use without an account" and then choose the option for WLAN/Wi-Fi sync (you'll need to have 1Password open & unlocked on your Mac).

It should be pretty straightforward, but if you have any questions or run into any difficulties, please let us know. Thanks! :)

• coaa
    coaa
    Community Member

Drew --

Thanks for the detailed and friendly response. You understood the situation exactly right: I could still access iPassword on my Mac and iPhone with my old password.

My fear was that if I deleted the app and reinstalled, that it would be possible to inadvertently sync things in the wrong direction with the result that I'd wipe my Mac clean instead of repopulating my iPad. I've made equally bad missteps in the past, hence my caution.

The second to last paragraph of your instructions turned out to be all the hand holding I needed.

The upshot: success!

Best,

COAA

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news, @coaa! Thanks for following up to let us know how it all turned out. I'm glad to hear everything is back to normal and working again! I know exactly what you mean about being cautious in situations like this - as they say, it's always better to be safe than sorry. ;)

I hope it all works perfectly for you from now on, but we're always happy to help if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.