Sync to a stolen iMac

fwitjas
fwitjas
Community Member

Hi,
My iMac is stolen with a 1Password application on it.
My question is, i have restored my backup image to a new imac.
When i change now mine paswords in the 1Password application, will they be changed also at the stolen iMac?
With kind regards,
Frits

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: 4.5.9
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member
    edited September 2016

It depends on how well you locked down your iMac. The recommended method would be to password protect the firmware, recovery partition and FileVault your disk. You should have also a good password on your user account and 1P itself.

So what, if any of these steps did you follow?

• fwitjas
    fwitjas
    Community Member

I have a admin password on the iMac login and an user account on 1P itself.

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member
    edited September 2016

The typical way for a thief to deal with a stolen Mac without a firmware password is to replace the hard drive, in this case they will have no interest in your data and will just bin the drive. In future put a password on the firmware too (don't forget it).

But you might have a stupid thief. If you have Find My iMac activated on the iMac through iCloud then set the iMac to erase. It will report it's last known position too.

1P is not going to sync unless the thief can figure out your OS X account password and 1P password. Hopefully you use good passwords. Change the 1P master password as soon as you are able.

Activate FileVault too, as long as you have a relatively modern Mac it makes no difference to performance.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @fwitjas,

I'm sorry to hear your iMac was stolen! :( But thanks for reaching out to ask us about this, it's good that you're thinking about the security of your data.

1Password won't actually sync until you unlock it with your master password. Even if the thief was able to unlock your Mac, they would also need to know your master password to unlock 1Password. Assuming you use a strong master password, they won't be able to do that.

But that might not be a concern anyway, because if you had enabled 'Find my Mac' beforehand, you can erase the whole thing remotely. Apple has more information on their support site here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ph2701

We have that suggestion as well as other tips about what to do if your device is lost or stolen in this knowledgebase article: If your device was lost or stolen, and it has your 1Password data on it

I hope that helps, but please don't hesitate to let us know if you have more questions about that. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.