Text shortcuts (still) don’t work in username field

BoxCar
BoxCar
Community Member

I use OS X text shortcuts for email addresses, as email addresses are often usernames.

For example, JohnDough@1password.com I would enter JD1P in System Preferences>Keyboard>Text.
So when I type ‘JD1P' most apps expand it into 'JohnDough@1password.com’

This is the behavior in the ‘notes' field in 1P v6 but not the ‘username' field. It should.

I reported this about a year ago in 1P v5, but that discussion was closed. Email is almost always the website’s preferred username so this is a problem on almost every login I create. I go to the notes field type the shortcut then have to cut & paste it into the username field. If text shortcuts work on notes why can’t it work in username? Also text short cuts work in 1P iOS so surely they can work on the Mac OS and would be a more consistent user experience.

1Password Version: 6.5.BETA-17 (650017)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.6.11
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @BoxCar,

When you edit an item in 1Password, it puts text input into "Secure Input" mode. This prevents third party apps such as keyboard shortcut utilities from being able read passwords and other sensitive data. It appears that OS X's own text shortcut feature is putting the same restriction on itself, with the exception of the notes field. The notes field is a bit different since it's a multi-line field intended for longer text passages.

We'll look into it a bit more to see if there's anything we can do about it, but it may be restricted by OS X here. iOS is coded differently so that might explain why it is working.

I hope I have explained it well enough. If you have any questions, feel free to reply.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.