Trying to set up new device and transfer data via dropbox, without access to old device

friedar
friedar
Community Member
edited September 2016 in Mac

I have used 1Password for years and have always synced using Dropbox. My current machine (MacBook Pro) died so I am using a new device (MacBook Air) and would like to get my data into the desktop application. I downloaded the 1Password application and tried to transfer my data via dropbox using the instructions here:
https://support.1password.com/sync-with-dropbox/

However there is no "Sync" icon in the 1Password Preference panel, so I cannot complete this process. How can I get my data from dropbox to this new machine?

1Password Version: 6.3.2
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• friedar
    friedar
    Community Member

I have also tried, to no avail, the transfer method of making an account for the online service as recommended and explained here:
    https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

Please let me know how to access my data. I love having unbreakable passwords but I do not love having to type them manually by looking at them on my phone.

• friedar
    friedar
    Community Member

I am not happy that no support replies were given to my issue over the course of 2 days, when I can see other queries are getting an answer. How about even "We're working on it, jeez, we haven't seen this one before!" or "We're super busy!"

Meanwhile I solved the problem myself. I trashed 1Password 6, and downloaded 1Password v4. (Why no v5 available to download?) In v4 there was a sync option in Preferences. I synced. I then upgraded all the way back to 1Password 6. Why did it take me 2 days to think of this approach? Maybe because I was so frustrated after reading support articles and trying stuff that didn't work, without any replies from support.

I have had positive experiences with 1Password support in the past, with much faster response times. After having to look up and enter password manually for 2 days, I am less than thrilled with this particular experience. I hope this is not a sign of a trend, perhaps being ushered in by the subscription service.

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@friedar FYI, every time you add to this thread, you move the priority down. Think "Oldest posts get the highest priority." As you may have noticed, macOS Sierra was just released, 1Password 6.3.3 was just released, and the AgileBits folks are really busy at the moment. Have patience, they'll get to you. In the meantime, Some obvious suggestions. Did you download the Dropbox app to your new computer along with a new version of 1Password? Did you have 1Password create a new vault for you? If so, you may have created an ".opvault" keychain whereas you had an .agilebits" keychain previously in Dropbox. Also, Dropbox has changed the folder structure over time, so your old .agilebits keychain may be in a different location in the Dropbox folder on your new Mac. HTH

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @friedar

I'm very sorry that you ran into this problems while setting up 1Password. I'm sorry that it wasn't more intuitive and that we couldn't get to you any sooner. @vplewis is just right about both things: when you write again on the thread then it gets marked as newer and goes kicked back to the end of the list, we work from older to newer threads. He's also right on the fact that the release of Sierra has sprung a lot of questions from a lot of people, so our responses times are a bit longer than usual, I apologise for that. I'm happy to hear that you've figured out how set up Dropbox Sync even if we couldn't get here earlier for you.

If you need help with anything else or there's any other thing that we can do for you, please let us know! Be sure that we really care about you and will always do our best to help you :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.