Minor frustration: the lock icon is backwards

locky
locky
Community Member

Hello!

I've used 1Password for a few years (and a few major versions), and for the most part, it works great, and makes my life easier.

One thing bugs me about it, though, and I've finally realized what it is. The use of padlock icons is exactly backwards from everything else in OS X. Everywhere else (for example, the Security & Privacy system preferences), the locked padlock means "this is secure (click to unlock it)", and the unlocked padlock means "this is unlocked (click to lock it)".

In 1Password, it's the opposite: the unlocked padlock means "click to unlock (it's locked now)", and the locked padlock means "click to lock (it's unlocked now)".

On the one hand, it's not a big deal, because I open, unlock, use, and close (= lock) 1Password in the space of about 10 seconds, each time I need it. On the other hand, it means a significant percentage of the time I'm using 1Password, I'm feeling uneasy. Every time, my brain gets kicked into panic mode for about 2 seconds (= 20% of my typical 1Password use) when it sees the discrepancy between the "locked" icon and my private data being visible.

Besides sync being too complex, this is really the only issue I have with 1Password. Thanks for a neat program!

1Password Version: 5.4.3
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: n/a
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:lock icon

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @locky

Thank you for taking some time to contact us, and letting us know what you think about 1Password! I think the difference relies on whether you are trying to have an icon to display the current state of the app or a button that will do something. I think that the behaviour that you describe is often found in the first category, while 1Password is in the second. This might be what then leads to some confusion!

Just something about this:

Besides sync being too complex

We have tackled this issue with our new 1Password accounts. Everything is synced automatically and available everywhere once the account has been added :chuffed:

• locky
    locky
    Community Member

Hi Pilar,

I think the difference relies on whether you are trying to have an icon to display the current state of the app or a button that will do something.

Yes, and what I'm saying is that the way OS X works is to use the padlock icon to display the current state. You're just reiterating that 1Password does it the opposite way. You're absolutely correct that when one application does something backwards from the rest of the system, that leads to confusion!

I'm not sure why 1Password does it that way, but I can confirm for you that it is indeed confusing, even for people like me who have used 1Password for years.

We have tackled this issue [sync is too complex] with our new 1Password accounts.

I looked at that briefly, but it solves none of the issues I have with 1Password syncing. If I was OK with letting my passwords leave my network (even encrypted), why wouldn't I just use iCloud or Dropbox syncing, and have fewer accounts and payments? But I'm not, so the point is moot.

As the 1Password Security page notes:

1Password gives you full control over where you store your data and how you keep it in sync. Keep your data offline, or sync with Dropbox, iCloud, or your local wireless network. Or benefit from the end-to-end security of a 1Password account. It's your choice.

but then if you look at the sync options, the only one that offers direct syncing between computers is marked for "(advanced users)", and says "It’s up to you to configure your preferred sync solution to keep that folder in sync with other computers". This feature hasn't gotten any updates in forever.

It doesn't even seem like a technical limitation. 1Password has long offered LAN syncing from Mac to iOS, and file-based syncing from Mac to Mac. Why can't I sync Mac to Mac over my LAN, without having to copy files manually (or configure my own file server)?

I'm probably a dying minority, but I bought 1Password specifically because it was a Mac app and not a "cloud solution". I can think of lots of reasons not to ever want to store my passwords "in the cloud".

anyway, thanks for responding,

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @locky,

Thank you very much for your feedback about the padlock icon! To be honest, it's not something I usually notice at all - if I see the lock screen that asks for my master password, I know it's locked. If I see my data, I know it's unlocked. So I don't normally look at the padlock buttons, but I see what you mean about them not matching the pattern in other apps. I can't make any promises about if or when we'll change that, but I'd be happy to forward your comments to our developers to let them know it's currently confusing for you.

We have tackled this issue [sync is too complex] with our new 1Password accounts.

I looked at that briefly, but it solves none of the issues I have with 1Password syncing. If I was OK with letting my passwords leave my network (even encrypted), why wouldn't I just use iCloud or Dropbox syncing, and have fewer accounts and payments? But I'm not, so the point is moot.

I'm sorry if we misunderstood! You had made a comment about sync being too complex in 1Password. That was a very general comment which seemed to refer to all of the "traditional" sync options in 1Password: Dropbox, iCloud, Folder sync, and WLAN Server. Therefore, Pilar was simply explaining that, with a 1Password account, sync isn't complex at all because there are no sync settings to configure - you would simply sign into your account from the 1Password app. You certainly don't have to sign up for a 1Password account if you don't want to, but it's definitely the easiest way to sync 1Password.

Now, it sounds like your complaint was specifically about the Folder sync option. Just to be clear, that feature doesn't sync directly between two computers. As the name implies, it syncs your data to a folder on your Mac. That allows you to choose your own sync solution in order to sync that folder with other computers. So by its nature, it is a more complex sync option than the others.

You also mentioned the WLAN server sync option, and that you'd like to be able to use that to sync directly between two Macs. I'll be happy to let our developers know you'd like to be able to do that! The way it currently works is that 1Password for Mac is the server, and 1Password for iOS/Android is the client. Multiple clients can sync with the server, but two servers can't sync with each other. For that to work, 1Password would need to be the server on one Mac, and the client on the other Mac. There's no technical reason that can't be done, but it's not something that can be done overnight. Again, I can't make any promises one way or the other about that, but I definitely understand how that would be helpful for you.

Thanks again for your feedback & requests, we truly appreciate it! If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.