Feature request: Unlock vault using iphone

alexisrosen
alexisrosen
Community Member

I am probably typing my master password 20+ times a day. It's pretty annoying. But the alternative is not secure. There must be a better way... and here's my suggestion: When the master password dialog appears, try to talk to your iphone app. If it's there, offer a touchID verification in addition to accepting a password.

For an example of a somewhat similar setup, see https://macid.co/ .

FWIW, I have no need for the paid version of the iphone app. But if you added this, that would definitely make it worth buying.

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @alexisrosen

With the new macOS Sierra many new features and possibilities were introduced. This will open some doors for us, and possibilities that we can explore. Thank you for letting us know what you'd like to see in 1Password, while I can't tell when or if this will be implemented we'll take your suggestions into consideration. Stick around to see where 1Password goes! :chuffed:

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member

They are only rumours at this stage so take it with a massive grain of salt (perhaps a whole shaker) but the word on the street is that the next MacBook Pro will have integrated TouchID. In this circumstance I'm sure AB could implement unlocking.

• alexisrosen
    alexisrosen
    Community Member

TouchID on the new MBP (and probably Airs) is highly likely, but that doesn't do any good to the many millions of us who have older models.

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member

Typically when Apple introduces a new feature they lock it down to their own ecosystem. In this case I'm thinking of the Apple Watch unlocking MacOS. After a while they normally open the API up to third party developers. Think maps, Siri, keyboards, notifications, widgets and many other features on iOS.

What might happen in the future is Apple release an API that 1P can hook into. But it would likely still mean you're left out in the cold with old models. e.g. Apple Watch unlocking your computer requires the Mac to have Bluetooth LE (v4.0), which is only available on 2013 Macs and later.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @steve23094 and @alexisrosen

It's always exciting to see what we can do with new features, both hardware and software wise! Stay around to see how 1Password takes advantage of it :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.