1Password 3 compatibility on macOS Sierra?

romad
romad
Community Member
edited October 2016 in Mac

I'm getting ready to install Sierra on my Mac and I wanted to know if anyone ran into problems with 1Password after doing the same. Both my iMac and my MBA are mid-2011 models.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2016

Hi @romad

You should be able to install Sierra and 1Password on it without any problems, we've been working hard to have a version of 1Password that will behave nicely with the brand new OS! However, if you do find any bug or problem, please report back to us so we can get it sorted out as soon as possible!

Enjoy the new OS and the 1Password update :chuffed:

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

Hmmm, I think I'll wait a few months just to be safe. I'll keep an eye out for an announcement that you have a version that is "macOS friendly" (as opposed to "Mac OS" or "OS X")

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @romad

1Password 6 is Sierra friendly for sure, but if you feel like it's best to give it some time before upgrading go ahead! We each have to find what we feel most comfortable doing in these kind of things :chuffed:

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

Actually, I am MORE concerned about bugs in Sierra than I am in 1Password! But for now 1Pwd 3 is doing everything I need in El Capitán and since I still have iOS 6 iDevices, I have to stay there until they are replaced (hopefully in the next few months). Once that is done I can see about moving up to 1Pwd6 and its associated iOS versions. I'm mainly trying to stay on top of any future upgrading problems.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hi Romad, I had the latest version of 1Password running on an upgraded El Capitan on an old 2010 MacBook Pro and it ran just fine. The UI is slightly milder in my opinion than some of the earlier versions. I then did a clean install of Sierra and tired the AgileBits version which also ran perfect. Then I did another clean install and tried the MacAppStore version (currently using) and it also runs fine.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

Thanks, Steve. I prefer vendor-direct applications so it is good to know you tried it and didn't have any problems. I may put Sierra on my MBA before I do my iMac (both are mid-2011s).

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi guys,

Regarding a "macOS friendly" version of 1Password, hot off the presses:

AgileBits Blog | Hello, macOS Sierra!

I had the latest version of 1Password running on an upgraded El Capitan on an old 2010 MacBook Pro and it ran just fine.

For intended purposes, my 2007 MacBook Pro and 2009 mini both run El Capitan just fine. My hunch that it would be the last version of OS X macOS those Macs would run turned out to be correct … and I'm okay with it. :)

I may put Sierra on my MBA before I do my iMac (both are mid-2011s).

I've been satisfied running Sierra, with 1Password 6, on my 2011 MacBook Air. Issues with using 1Password 3 (including on Sierra now) are covered here:

1Password 3: Modern browsers and OS X

Cheers!

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

I've read that link about 1Pwd3 and so far the following has worked:

I use Firefox 38 and, for Apple Events only, Safari. 1Pwd3 extension still works in Safari 9.1.2. As I've said before, once I can retire my older iDevices, then I'll see about moving to a newer version of 1Pwd.

As for the others, I don't due importing nor do I use Dropbox w/ 1Pwd. I'll have to keep an eye out on the "invisible" text. Is this only when editing via the browser extension, only when editing in the actual application, or in both?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @romad,

I'll have to keep an eye out on the "invisible" text. Is this only when editing via the browser extension, only when editing in the actual application, or in both?

I believe this is just a problem in the main 1Password 3 app, although I don't know that for sure because I'm not seeing it happen at all on my own Mac. Then again, I'm not able to do much testing of 1Password 3 in general because it keeps crashing for me on El Capitan and Sierra. Your mileage may vary. ;)

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

OK. I just did a test and what I saw was shifting color bands instead of text. I did Cmd-a, delete, typed the text I wanted, and clicked "Save". Correct text was in the box.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @romad,

Yes, that sounds similar to the descriptions I've heard from other customers with 1Password 3 on El Capitan. Fields can still be edited, but if you can't see the text you're editing, it's difficult to do much more than 'Select All' and type something new to replace the old text. But if that's the worst issue you're seeing with 1Password 3 on El Cap, consider yourself fortunate! ;)

Once you're able to upgrade to 1Password 6, it will all work much, much better for you. Have a great weekend! :)

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

OK, I was going to wait until I upgraded my iPhone and iPad but that has been delayed. So I need to upgrade to the standalone version that works with El Capitán (holding off on Sierra for my iMac) but you've changed your site so much I can't find the upgrade path. Could you please give me the link? Thank you.

• @romad,

you should be able to access the downloads from https://1password.com/downloads/

Rudy

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

Yes, I saw that but I need to pay for it and I can't find where to find the upgrade price from 1PW3 nor where to pay it. That is what I'm trying to find. Unless 1PW6.x is a free upgrade from 1PW3! :-)

• @romad,

sorry about that! The upgrade pricing can be calculated by filling out the form available here: https://agilebits.com/store/upgrade?product_id=108

Rudy

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

Thanks! Got and have purchased it. Now I have another problem but I'll open a separate thread on it.

• @romad,

thanks, looking forward to your next question!

Rudy

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

I was able to figure it out. BTW, is there a pdf user manual for 1PW6?

• @romad,

Not a PDF, but rather a searchable website: https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/

Rudy

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

The problem with those type of user guides is they are totally worthless if you don't have Internet connectivity. BTW, PDFs are searchable, too.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @romad,

We do have a PDF version of the 1Password 6 for Mac User Guide you can download if you'd find it helpful:

https://support.1password.com/ebooks/mac/onepassword-mac-user-guide.pdf

However, it is no longer up-to-date and isn't searchable (like other content on the https://support.1password.com site).

• romad
    romad
    Community Member

Ah, but I can click on an entry in the TOC and I'm taken right there. I've found so-called "searchable" guides really don't work that well in that the user most times has to know exactly what the guide writer decided to use as a search term. This particularly when the user and writer use different terminology for the same thing.

Thank you for the link, I've downloaded it. Between it and Joe Kissell's books I should be OK.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of sjk, you're very welcome! If you have more questions about 1Password or need help, please don't hesitate to let us know. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.