Referenced Attachment/Document is not copied to the destination vault when main item is copied

Manaburner
Manaburner
Community Member

I have an item with a referenced attachment/Document in Vault A. I want to copy this item (including the attachment) to Vault B. So I click "Copy" on the main item. The main item is copied to Vault B, but the referenced attachment/Document is not. This also means that clicking "Open" next to "Imported Attachment" in the main item in Vault B does nothing. Even if I then copy the referenced Document to Vault B, the "Open" button still does nothing.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:attachment

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Manaburner: I'm really sorry for the confusion! Documents truly are separate items, so while you can link them to another item in the same vault, if you move/copy that item to another vault (which is encrypted separately) but not the Document it is referencing, the link will be broken. We're looking at ways to make these easier to work with, but we want to make sure that we don't compromise the security since much of the time separate vaults are used for sharing purposes. Thanks for bringing this up!

ref: OPM-4327

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Hi @brenty
    in fact, I did also move the referenced Document to Vault B as well, but the link was still broken. Would it have remained intact when I had copied both at the same time?
    To be totally honest with you, using a 1Password.com account productively is currently not an option in the current state.
    It seems to me, that using an account is fine, as long as you don't have items with attachments. But as soon as you have those, you mostly have no way back to a "classic" vault, because when copying items back to that, all the references are broken. You may be able to fix that for a few items, but if you have more than 10, it's a lot of work to get the items and attachments back together.
    And also having references break when all involved vaults are on 1Password.com does not make me wanna cheer ;-)
    I mean I still have a lot of time for my trial account and I hope the things that keep me from using it get improved.

• Hi @Manaburner ,

As one of the developers of 1Password for Mac, I completely agree with you. We can certainly do better here. Our goal is to have it work just as well, and retain links. It is on our list to fix up. I'm sorry for the inconvenience this is causing you and we hope you'll stick with it so we can show you the improvements in the near future.

Regards,
    Kevin

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member

Hi @ag_kevin
    I appreciate your message and I'm confident you will get those problems fixed. As I said I have some time left for my trial of my 1P account, so I'm looking forward to seing what is coming.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry for the disruption to your workflow! Thanks for your patience while we work on improving the Documents feature in 1Password :blush:

This discussion has been closed.