Rock and a hard place... I forgot my master password on my mac but

m_t_
m_t_
Community Member
edited September 2016 in Mac

So for some reason my master password that I have been using for years no longer work on my mac. I tried going to a backup file with no success. I have type so many variations of the password thinking I remembered incorrectly that I can no longer be certain what it is now.

My iOS phone still has all the passwords in the 1password app. I can unlock the app with touch ID giving me access to my information but my master password is not working there either.

Is there a way to get all the passwords from the phone to a new 1password wallet on my mac?

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11
Sync Type: wifi

Comments

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member
    edited September 2016

You will eventually lose access on your iPhone too, it will end up asking for your master password. I don't see how you can create a new wallet because you still don't know the master password.

I would start printing off all your data if i were you and start again from scratch.

EDIT: Looks like this person did it https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/69672/forgot-password-but-still-have-access-via-iphone-touch-id#latest

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @m_t_

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your Master Password, it's good that you caught this while you still have Touch ID enabled! The first thing that I'd recommend you to do is to follow the instructions and suggestions on this guide: https://support.1password.com/master-password/

If none of this works, then before doing anything else, go to 1Password Setting on your iPhone, then tap on Advanced and "Create Backup". You should then follow the instructions on your computer to start over again (you can ding them on the same link as above), create a new vault and then sync it to your phone. You should be able to then move systematically all your items to this new vault. Unfortunately, you can't move all the items at once with iOS, but it will at least let you recover data!

Please let us know how this goes for you, if you have any doubts before starting this or during the process please let us know and we'll help you :chuffed:

• m_t_
    m_t_
    Community Member

I solved the problem before seeing the replies. The below worked for me.

short recap. I forgot the master password for my 1password on my Mac but I still had access to 1password on my phone using touch ID.

1) on another mac I created a new wallet with a new password "mypassword"
    2) I turn on WLAN server on the mac
    3) on my iphone I asked it to sync with the new wallet.
    4) iPhone asked for the password to the new wallet
    5) Typed in "mypassword"

everything synced up and it is now working 100%

6) changed the password to something more secure.

Maybe this could be verified as a working solution to anyone else in the same situation.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @m_t_

Thank you for getting back to us and letting us know what worked for you, I'm glad that you realized you'd forgotten your Master Password before it was too late! We'll keep this process ready if anyone else needs it. I hope it all goes well with you and your new Master Password, but if you ever need help again, we're always here for you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.