Please allow the ability to ignore SSL Cert errors in 1Browser on iOS

Options
bcarney
bcarney
Community Member

Please allow the ability to ignore SSL Cert errors in 1Browser. I run a couple of servers that use SSL, but since I'm only person accessing them I don't bother to purchase commercial SSL certificates. When I try to use 1Browser it won't let me access the site due to the error. Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @bcarney,

Thanks for the suggestion! I can't make any promises here other than to say I will pass the feedback along to our developers. That said, if you know the certificate is "good" you can access these sites using Safari + the 1Password extension:

Enable the extension | 1Password for iOS

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• jsargent
    jsargent
    Community Member
    Options

I second this.

Strict cert checking must have been implemented just recently. Until my flight this morning, I used 1Browser to get me logged into Southwest Airlines onboard wifi. For some reason, the Safari + 1Password extension never seemed to work correctly with their weird portal, but 1Browser always handled it flawlessly.

Today however, 1Browser threw a cert warning with no option to ignore and proceed. Luckily the Safari + 1Password extension worked, as Safari allowed me to ignore the cert mismatch. I don't trust its reliability as much as I trusted the built-in 1Browser though...so I definitely vote for an option to ignore the mismatch.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jsargent: We definitely haven't made changes to 1Browser for a while, so the only explanation is that something changed with the site itself. Frequently websites use redirects and subdomains, and if these don't match the certificate you'll get an error. Normally I'd ask for a URL, but it sounds like I'd probably have to be on a plane to test this. :)

We don't want to ignore the mismatch, but perhaps we can add a confirmation dialog or something in the future. However, we're extremely limited in what we can do there, so I'm no sure that's possible to override.

But while it's awesome and humbling that you trust 1Password so much, you shouldn't trust it more than Safari in this case, because 1Browser is Safari. No apps on iOS can bring their own browser engines, so we're all using a Safari webview (yep, even Chrome!) there to enable this functionality.

So there's absolutely nothing wrong with using the 1Password extension in Safari. Frankly, Safari has a great user interface for a mobile app, and 1Password will never be able to compete with what Apple can do with their resources there. Just make sure you keep up with iOS updates to get the latest security fixes, and remember that your 1Password data is stored securely and only ever available to you when you access it through the app or the extension.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.