Merge two computers - sync or export/import?

johnvirg
johnvirg
Community Member

I am running 1Password on two different computers for over a year now. I thought they were syncing via Dropbox but when I just checked the settings on each Mac, I see that they are set to None for Sync on Dropbox. I suppose I imported at one point but never setup the sync. The problem is that now I have two versions of the vault with mutually exclusive information. I would like to merge the two and then sync between the Macs via Dropbox. Should I export from one and import into the other and then sync that? How does 1Password handle conflicts? What is the best approach. Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: El Capitan and Sierra
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @johnvirg

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password and syncing. There's no need to go through the importing/exporting, just set up syncing. I think iCloud will be the easiest for you, but if you prefer to stick with Dropbox it's also a pretty good option. 1Password will never make assumptions about which data is the "correct" data, so there's no risk of losing any of your items. However, you will most likely end up with a lot of duplicates that you'll have to sort by hand. Personally, I'd rather have both computers side by side, and systematically delete the duplicates before seeing up sync, but you need to ponder which option will work best for you :chuffed:

If you have any other questions about this or need any more help, please let us know and we'll be glad to help you :chuffed:

• johnvirg
    johnvirg
    Community Member

Hi @Pilar,

Thanks for the response. I did just that, setup sync one at a time to the same file on DropBox and yes, I got a few dupes, but no big deal. Everything syncs including mobile. All is good.

• On behalf of Pilar, we're glad to hear you got it up and running.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.