Scary behavior of Command-A (select all)

rsworden
rsworden
Community Member
edited September 2016 in Mac

1Password for Mac version 6.3.3 on El Capitan.

A few days ago I established a family account, created vaults there, and copied all my items to them. I ensured they synced to my multiple Macs and IOS devices. Tonight I decided it was safe to clear out the local vaults. Here is what I think happened… I don’t want to try to recreate it.

1. Ran a backup.
  2. Accessed one of my local vaults named Primary. I’m pretty sure I was not in ‘All vaults’.
  3. With Command-A, selected all the items. Chose Move to Trash.
  4. On all devices, I could no longer see any objects in most vaults including cloud vaults. One cloud vault still had all its objects.
  5. Verified on the web that the objects were really gone.
  6. After restarting my heart, finally figured out the objects were in trash in each vault. Whew!
  7. Thought I could quickly select all objects in each vault and restore them. I tried in both the Mac and web site, and in both places Select All then Restore would only restore the last selected item, not all.
  8. On Mac, in each vault, in Trash, repeatedly clicked the Restore button which restored one object at a time. We’re talking over 300 clicks.

I looked in Help > Troubleshooting > Show Application Log, thinking maybe it had logged each of my actions so I could see if I had done something wrong initially. All I see there are lots of “saveState:andReloadDataWithCompletionOnMain:” with various numbers, some of which match my vault total item counts, so no real help there. Is there any other log I can look at, or do you have server logs which would show what happened?

Here's why I don't think I was in All Vaults: One of my cloud vaults was not cleared out, one I had just created tonight. I really think I was in Primary, and the program tree-walked outside of that vault when doing Select All. (I just wrote a tree-walking routine in an application so I'm aware of how it can go wrong.)

Fortunately all the items were recoverable, but it was disturbing. Can you check into two things:

1. Can you simulate this on a Mac on this version and see if Command-A can possibly erroneously select outside the current vault? I know it shouldn’t but maybe there’s a bug or a bug-like feature. If it's possible to Command-A from All Vaults, maybe a confirmation message on Move to Trash would be in order?

2. Can you see if Command-A followed by Restore is supposed to be able to restore all selected objects in one shot? It should… if not then please consider this a feature request, which I think would be a pretty important one.

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:select all

Comments

• eva_s
    eva_s
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rsworden,
    I reviewed your situation with one of our Mac developers and he came up with a possible explanation for what may have happened but we will have to test it to be sure. At his request, I wrote up your experience as a possible bug and one of our developers will take a look at it when they have a moment.

Even though I don’t have an answer for you on the spot, I'd like to thank you for reporting your experience to us because if we can replicate your experience, it is certainly one we would like to address.

Best,
    Eva

ref: OPM-4385

This discussion has been closed.