I must no understand password generator and how it works

gopher78
gopher78
Community Member

I'm using OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 and password 6.3.2. Many of my passwords were the same so I thought I could go into the app and generate a automatic password. After I did this, I got wrong password for each application I used it on. I believe 1 password saves my original password but I would like to know what I did wrong and how I can change passwords Does that make sense? Thanks

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Password generator

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gopher78,

I'm sorry you're having difficulty with changing passwords! We'll be happy to help you out with this.

Many of my passwords were the same so I thought I could go into the app and generate a automatic password. After I did this, I got wrong password for each application I used it on.

If I understand your description, it sounds like you changed the passwords in your Login items in 1Password, but not on the websites and/or apps where you use them. When changing a password, you need to make sure you've changed it in both places. In other words, if you change a password in your 1Password vault, the corresponding app or website has no idea about that change.

1Password makes this easy, and we show you the best method for changing your passwords here: Change your passwords and make them stronger

Now, you mentioned that your passwords are for "applications". To change a password for an app (instead of a website), you can still follow the basic steps in the above article, but there are a couple differences: In the Password Generator in 1Password mini, you won't be able to click a 'Fill' button to fill the new password in an app, so you'll need to copy/paste it instead. Also, when changing the password in an app, 1Password won't ask if you want to update your Login item with the new password, so you just need to remember to update it yourself.

I believe 1 password saves my original password...

That's correct - when you change the password in a Login item, the old one is saved in the "previously used passwords" section of that Login item. You can see that by clicking the "show previously used passwords" button near the bottom of the item details in 1Password.

Does this help? If you have more questions about how to change a password, please let us know. Cheers! :)

• gopher78
    gopher78
    Community Member

Thanks Got it now and works great.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, I'm glad that helped and that it's working well for you now!

Hopefully you're all set, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know - we're always happy to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.