Cumbersome.

Options

This software is the most cumbersome and least intuitive that I've ever seen. Been struggling with it for weeks. Why can't you make it easier to use and more intuitive? Have you done ANY usability testing? So frustrating.

Here are my current batch of issues:

Some of my banking website require two stage authentication - the user name is on one page (click submit), and I have to identify a picture then enter the password (click submit). I've tried editing the web form details (can't figure that out) and tried manually adding the login (never worked correctly). What do I do?

Can't figure out when 1Password decides when to submit or not to submit. On some sites, it does it automatically; on others, I have to click submit. Once again, tried editing the web details - but can't figure it out.

I am sure that this is all very simple and intuitive if you are web programmer. For the rest of us mere mortails, it is completely obtuse.

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS Sierra
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @edeanjones2. I'm sorry for the frustration. This is definitely not the experience we want people to have with 1Password. Security products are really no good to anyone unless they also make doing the secure thing the easy thing as well, and it sounds like 1Password isn't really meeting this bar for you right now. Let me see if I can help.

First, let me say that editing the web form details is not something you should be doing. These details are saved by the browser extension and then used to match Login fields to the page if possible. This is most helpful these days in situations where the page has 3 or more fields that need to be filled in. (An example of this would be the American Airlines sign in page for their frequent flyer program.) But generally, editing the web form details will cause more issues than it will help, so it's best to avoid this if possible.

For the two-step sign in pages, we have a guide for just this situation. If there's anything there that's not clear, please do let us know.

Autosubmit is fairly strict. It requires that after filling the focus can be placed into a password field that 1Password filled. If so, it sends a message to 1Password to mimic the user pressing the return key as they would to submit the form in most situations. So, if there's no password field on the page or 1Password wasn't able to place focus into the password field, autosubmit will not happen. This is a safeguard to prevent erroneously submitting your information based on poor guessing on 1Password's part. There's one last situation where autosubmit won't work and that's for some sites that do not allow pressing the return key to submit the form and instead require a click on a button or other similar element to submit. We have special handling for a few of these sites, but if we haven't yet made special arrangements for a site that does this, autosubmit won't work. We'd like to explore ways to make this better in the future, but for now, we are erring on the side of making sure we don't submit your details when we shouldn't.

I hope this is helpful. If you have any other questions, please do let us know and we'll do all we can to help out and get things going in the right direction.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.