1Password Standalone - Confusing documentation, How to share vault between iOS and MAC

spark007
spark007
Community Member

Why is your documentation always point me to having account 1Password account online??

The reason I purchased 1Password is NOT to store my data online in cloud. Every time I look up for help on your website, it one way or other points me to having 1Password account? I remember earlier I could easily browse through your help pages and get answer quickly. If your plans is to move / force me to go to cloud, i would need to go elsewhere as it defeats the purpose.

1. Please keep these two separate - standalone and cloud based service. There are several users like me who prefers to stay standalone.
  2. Can you point me to user manual for standalone that doesn't direct me to online account? Or at least tell me if this "feature" i can use or not in standalone WITHOUT Creating / having 1Password online account?
  3. I have 1Phone and an iPad. I want to use one vault for iPhone (Example: work related) and other vault on iPad (Personal). My MAC will be master which will organize all these accounts. I have MAC as well as iOS verified purchase. How do i do this with my "standalone" 1Password?

Thanks

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12
Sync Type: WLAN only - No Cloud
Referrer: forum-search:1Password Standalone

Comments

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@spark007 If you only want to sync between one Mac (the Server) and multiple iOS devices (the Clients), use the instructions for WLAN aka WiFi syncing. None of the "Account" info pertains to your use case. HTH

• spark007
    spark007
    Community Member

@vplewis Thanks for your quick response. Is it possible to have separate password for each vault? My iPad is shared in family and I do not want to use same password as work iPhone vault. I think this is only way I can separate out two but still keep everything in MAC.

Also, is there documentation I can refer to related to multiple vault features across iOS devices. I want to explore how it works and if applicable to my case.

What I want is
    1. Selectively access different vaults across different iOS devices - all synced to my main MAC server.
    2. Having separate password per vault (so I don't have to share my master password to my family / other devices)

Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @spark007,

I'm sorry our online documentation has been frustrating for you! Information about 1Password accounts is often listed first because that's the easiest option for most customers (i.e. there are no sync settings to configure - simply sign into an account from the 1Password app). But in our effort to make it easier to find information about accounts, it sounds like we made it more difficult for you to find the information you need, and I apologize for the inconvenience. I'll certainly pass your feedback along to our documentation team!

Now, as far as your sync options, we explain each one (1Password account, iCloud, Dropbox, WLAN Server, and Folder sync) in this knowledgebase article: Sync your 1Password data

Out of those options, the only one which does not use any cloud sync service at all, and which works between Mac and iOS, is the WLAN Server option. We have an article with steps to set it up here: How to use the WLAN server

As vplewis mentioned, the WLAN Server option will work between one Mac and one or more iOS devices, so it sounds like that matches your current setup (Mac, iPhone, iPad). However, it sounds like you want to sync only the Primary vault to one iOS device, and only the secondary vault to the other iOS device. Unfortunately you won't be able to do that with WLAN Server, because your Primary vault is always included (secondary vaults are optional). So, with the WLAN Server option, your Primary vault would have to sync to both iOS devices (which also means that's the master password you would need to use on both iOS devices).

In order to sync each vault to a different iOS device, you would need to use Dropbox. Each vault would have its own sync file in your Dropbox account, and each sync file would be associated with the master password for that specific vault. When setting up 1Password on each iOS device, you can choose which sync file/vault in Dropbox you want to use. If you'd like to set it up this way, you can find steps to sync your vaults via Dropbox here: How to sync 1Password with Dropbox

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have more questions about that. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.