Sync iPad and MacBook Pro

StevenTucson
StevenTucson
Community Member

Ipad is syncing to iCloud so it says but my MacBook has no sync button in preferences so I don't know where its trying to sync to. How can I get them both to sync and should it be iCloud or your servers. Based on your answer tell me which device to change and how to change it. Thank you! Great Product!

1Password Version: 6.4.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:No sync button in Preferences

Comments

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@StevenTucson Sounds like iPad is a 1Password License and MacBook is a 1Password Account. You'll need to switch one of them--both syncing via iCloud or both syncing via the AgileBits (subscription model ) 1Password Account. HTH

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @StevenTucson,

I think vplewis might be correct, but I'd like to elaborate on that: It sounds like you've signed up for a 1Password account and signed into that account in 1Password for Mac. With a 1Password account, your data syncs automatically via our servers, so iCloud isn't used and you don't need to configure any sync settings (which explains why you don't see sync settings in 1Password on your Mac).

On your iPad, it sounds like you set up a Primary vault. A Primary vault is not part of your 1Password account - it's what we refer to as a local/standalone vault, because it only exists locally on that device unless you sync it elsewhere using one of the sync options (iCloud, Dropbox, or WLAN Server).

Do you have any data in the Primary vault in 1Password on your iPad? If so, we can help you sync that data to your Mac and move it to your account. Or do you already have all your data in your account (i.e. in 1Password on your Mac and on 1Password.com)? If you can let us know where you have all your data (or if some is on your Mac and some on your iPad) we'll be able to give more specific instructions for how to get this all sorted out. Thanks! :)

• StevenTucson
    StevenTucson
    Community Member

Drew, sorry for the delay. The amount of data on my iPad is relatively small so I would not be afraid of deleting it in order to sync. Can you forward procedural steps for this. Am I better off syncing to your server or iCloud? I'm sure I paid for one or the other, so I must have had a good reason for my choice a while back. If I could only remember. Thanks for your help on this. Steve

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @StevenTucson

It looks like you're using the account, I think that will work best for you :chuffed: you won't have to worry about syncing once you've set up the account and you'll always get the most recent version of all the apps! In addition to that you'll also be able to access your data online.

In order to add your account to your iPad you need to follow the instruction here: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/ . Just scroll down and you'll find the instructions for iOS. You can then copy each of the items on your iPad into the account if you need them. If you don't mind about the items on your iPad and want to get rid of the local vault, you can delete the 1Password app from your iPad and download it again, following the instructions to add your account from the set up.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else we can help you with :chuffed:

• StevenTucson
    StevenTucson
    Community Member

This worked perfectly Pilar. Thank you so much!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @StevenTucson

That's great news and you're very welcome! I hope everything goes smoothly with 1Password from now on but if you need us for anything else we're always here for you :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.