Trying to load 1Password on new computer. Program downloaded. Cannot open with Emergency Kit data.

lcohen272
lcohen272
Community Member

I have been running 1Password6 on my iMac without problem. iMac going in for repairs so I'm trying to load 1Password on my Mac Book. 1Password has been downloaded and is in the application folder. I have tried to open it with information provided in the Emergency Kit, but it tells me the Account key is incorrect. I want to be able to open 1Password and have access to the same vault , i.e. the same passwords, that I had on the original iMac.

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:On new computer. 1Password downloaded. Cannot open with info in emergency kit.

Comments

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@lcohen272 Probably your iMac is using a 1password License and you've started using a 1Password Account on the MacBook. You don't need the Emergency Kit if you want to keep using the standalone license version. HTH

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lcohen272,

I'm sorry you're having trouble getting things set up on your MacBook!

Do you have a 1Password account (which is a new subscription service we started to offer this year) or did you previously purchase a license for 1Password for Mac? An Account Key is something you would only have if you signed up for an account on 1Password.com. If you don't have an account but previously bought a license, then you might be trying to enter your license key in the "Account Key" field - but they are two very different things.

If you are being asked to enter an Account Key but don't have an account, it just means you need to go back and choose a different option to set up 1Password. (And I apologize if the setup options weren't clear about that!) On your iMac, did you sync 1Password via iCloud or Dropbox? If so, 1Password should find that and give you the option to sync your data from there when you open it for the first time on another Mac. Try quitting 1Password on your MacBook and then open it again - what options do you see on the first screen?

This discussion has been closed.