Any way to make 1Password work on an LG Smart TV browser?

Options

Pretty much says it all. The TV has a browser but most of my passwords are way too complicated to remember. 1Password does it for me on my Macs.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Any way to make 1Password work on an LG Smart TV browser?

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We never want to say never, but this is not something that's likely to come. In a quick search, I couldn't locate a way to create an extension for the LG browser.

We rely on browser vendors to provide robust extension infrastructure for us to hook into. Without that, we are left with some pretty ugly hacks that are very unreliable and can cause some unintended behavior. The other obstacle is that 1Password doesn't store any data in the extension, so we would need 1Password running on the TV as well or available and accessible nearby in a way that would allow us to instruct the extension what to do in the browser.

So far, I haven't seen anything that looks like it would allow us to pursue this. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you. :(

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rbpeirce: One thing that might help though is Wordlist passwords. While I can only imagine that your input options are pretty limited on a TV (though...if you can hook up a keyboard, rock on!), if you're anything like me, you probably also have a fairly limited subset of accounts you need to access there (I'm thinking Netflix, Amazon...) So using randomly-generated, word-based passwords in these cases will make them easier to read and enter at least — even if we're not likely to see individual TV manufacturers supporting open standards anytime soon. Cheers! :)

• rbpeirce
    rbpeirce
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. This certainly isn't critical. It was just there so I thought I would see if I could use it. Entering login info is terrible. You have to point at a virtual keyboard with your remote and it takes forever. 1Password's point-and-click avoids any keying on my computers. I have other smart TVs and don't use any of the "smartness." I will do the same with this one.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Entering login info is terrible. You have to point at a virtual keyboard with your remote and it takes forever.

Ouch. That's actually the situation I'm in with one of my TVs too, but I'd hoped yours was better at least. Personally, I use an Apple TV for most of that functionality now and then only login to Amazon on the TV itself. "Smart TVs" really aren't, but I'm glad there are some good alternatives at least — but of course they're not free. Here's hoping this improves in the future!

This discussion has been closed.