1Password on Android wouldn't launch on MIUI 8.0.6.0

Canor
Canor
Community Member

As soon as launching the app the app crashes and returns to homescreen.

Xiao Mi Hongmi Pro, MIUI 8.0.6.0 stable.

Is there any plan to support MIUI?

1Password Version: 4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MIUI 8.0.6.0
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:xiaomi

Comments

• @Canor I am sorry to hear 1Password is crashing on your device. Are you being prompted to report the crash after it happens? Could you also make sure you are using the latest version (6.4) of 1Password for Android from Google Play?

• Canor
    Canor
    Community Member

Actually it's my first time using Android and I confused ratings with the version. I was(and am) running 6.4 of 1Password for Android. Sorry for confusing.

And after it crashes it won't ask me to send bug report at the first place but it does ask me if I turn the MIUI optimization option switched off. Screenshot is attached. Thanks.

• Hmm, that is strange. I am not sure why the device is asking to send the crash report to Mi instead of Google Play. Our developers can only access crash reports on Google Play.

Could you please tap on View Summary on that screen? Let me know what you see.

• niccolom
    niccolom
    Community Member

I am facing the same issue. I tried to delete the app and reinstall it and after the first use, it starts crashing again. Any solutions?

• @niccolom Are you using a Mi device also? Are you seeing a crash report, and if so, are you able to send it to us, or are you prompted to send it to Mi as shown in the screenshot above? Also, did you install 1Password through the Play Store or from a third party?

• Canor
    Canor
    Community Member

@saad I think it's because this one is flashed with China Rom, not global one(and Global Rom hasn't been released yet afaik). So they didn't have Play store in first place. View Summary only asked me to describe the situation at the moment of crash(sorry I couldn't provide screenshot since I've already upgraded to beta) Joining beta program and upgrading to 6.4.1b2 seems to made it work again. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Canor: That's really strange. Given that 1Password for Android comes from the Google Play store, without access to that how did you install the app? I'm glad to hear that the beta is working for you at least! We'll take a look at the diagnostics and see if that provides some additional insight. Thank you! /cc @saad

ref: RMY-24415-715

• Canor
    Canor
    Community Member

@brenty I had to manually install Play Store ahead, I think this was the one I refered http://xiaomininja.com/2016/04/22/how-to-install-google-play-store-on-redmi-3pro-step-by-step-guide/ . 1Password was installed from Play Store that was manually installed via .apk and I'm also considering the possibility of other services such as Google Play Services went wrong, since that seems the case with my Calendar cannot sync with Google Calendar service. However, like I said, I'm new to Android and couldn't find any clues what went wrong so I had to ask here if there's anything I can do(and I thought sending report to Mi would also send crash report to dev as well, which doesn't seem to be the case). Anyways beta worked, and I just hope same goes with next official release. Thanks :)

• Thanks for the info @Canor! I'm glad you were able to install 1Password from the Play Store after all, and have 1Password working as it should be. :)

• niccolom
    niccolom
    Community Member

@peri I am using a Xiaomi Mi4s with a Global ROM (I think) and I downloaded 1password from the Play store. Unfortunately, I have no crash report to forward you.

• @niccolom Thanks for the info. Do you see any error messages whatsoever? Or does the app simply quit without warning?

• niccolom
    niccolom
    Community Member

@peri It is crashing without any warning as soon as I try to open it

• Thanks @niccolom. :) Can you try uninstalling 1Password, and then installing 1Password 6 beta? Let me know if you have better luck with that version. Thanks again!

• niccolom
    niccolom
    Community Member

Thanks, @peri. An update on the debugging side: I tried to uninstall the normal app and to reinstall it; now I am not using the keyboard and the app keeps working (clearly w/o the keyboard it is way less useful).

• Thanks for the update @niccolom. To be clear, were you able to test out the beta version, or did you reinstall the stable version?

Also, was the app crashing when launch 1Password from the keyboard, or when launching from the main app? If you were having trouble launching from the keyboard, can you launch the main app and set up your vault first? Let me know how that goes!

• ceembe
    ceembe
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

Hi

May i can help out with some little extra information.

I'm running 1pw on my Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Special Edition (aka Kate/aka TW Edition/aka International Edition, Snapdragon 650, just the modem differs from Chinese Edition/aka Kenzo)
    It also came with Stable Rom, but for German language i flashed to Developer Rom.

I can confirm that 1pw 6.4.1 runs stable on MIUI 8 Global 6.9.22 | Beta (Developer Rom).

PS: Developer Rom (Global Rom) also runs very stable and gets weekly updates, i would recommend it anyway.

Cheers

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for sharing! I'm glad to hear that works for you. :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Same issue here. It sounds weird though, Play Services are not build-in on MIUI Chinese version. We are able to install them on our own and it is in fact the most way for Chinese android users to use google.

All the play services works fine on my phone after the installation, and it shows in Play Store that CTS test is passed. And yes I am able to access all the services from google, and from all the apps who rely on Google services, except 1 Password. It crashes after first launch, having synced my data from 1password account, and having been used pretty well for several times. Hours later when I try to launch the app it shows a large full-screen white screen without your LOGO, and within a second it crashes. No crash report unfortunately.

As 1pw works fine in the global version of miui, I would consider that crash should be due to the non buildin google service. I searched online and many miui users face the same issue, the solution they gave was to clear all the data, and re-sync from your server, and it should work for another several hours.

I am using the latest version (updated 23. Aug) from Play Store. It makes me feel puzzle, and I hope you could repair this problem.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

All the play services works fine on my phone after the installation, and it shows in Play Store that CTS test is passed. And yes I am able to access all the services from google, and from all the apps who rely on Google services, except 1 Password. It crashes after first launch, having synced my data from 1password account, and having been used pretty well for several times. Hours later when I try to launch the app it shows a large full-screen white screen without your LOGO, and within a second it crashes. No crash report unfortunately.

@GooEeu: That's really interesting, especially that you're not getting a crash report. Unfortunately without the app launching we cannot get diagnostic information from it, and if your device is not producing a crash report we won't have any information at all on what might be going wrong. Please shoot us an email at support@1password.com and add the following Support ID (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending:

[#UDC-54717-541]

If you’re reading this and you are not GooEeu, this Support ID is for GooEeu only. Please ask us for your own if you also need help.

I'm not certain that there's anything we can do for side-loaded Play Services, but we can look into it. Perhaps there's another way to get the crash reports. :)

ref: UDC-54717-541

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited August 2017

I will try if possible to find out ways to send you the crash report. I wounder if it is possible to get the crash report from the file system? I do not root my device.

• peri
    edited August 2017

Hi @GooEeu. The issue you're describing sounds a bit like a crash we had on a version that was released last year, 6.3b2. Can you let me know exactly what version number of 1Password you have installed?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited September 2017

I always download it from play store, since 1pw knows all my passwords I am unwilling to download from third party. You can check what was the available version in Play Store on 20th Aug.
    It is 6.6 now and since last reinstall (the day before yesterday) it works perfect. The crash never show up I will update if I found anything wrong.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That's really odd, but I'm glad to hear it's working for you now! hopefully you don't have any further issues, but definitely send us any crash reports that come up. Unfortunately the only way I'm aware of to do this manually if Android isn't generating these automatically is using Android Studio...and that's not particularly user-friendly to setup.

This discussion has been closed.