What's exactly the difference between 1Password from Mac App Store and the one from your website?

Options
rochak
rochak
Community Member

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

None, nowadays, except for the licencing and payment structure.

A long time ago, iCloud sync was only possible with the version from the App Store. This was a restriction by Apple, which they have now removed, and iCloud sync is possible with the version from AgileBits.

If you buy from AgileBits you have a trial period before needing to buy, and a further period during which payment will be refunded on request. Neither of these are possible from the App Store. Purchases from the App Store are tied to you Apple ID and do not require a licence, which some people find more convenient. I can't see any reason to buy from the App Store rather than directly.

If you haven't made a purchase yet, take a look at the new subscription option, which does have some advantages. More details at https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/68576/whats-the-difference-between-a-1password-subscription-and-a-standalone-license#latest

• rochak
    rochak
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you - seems like buying from your website makes more sense..

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rochak,

I'm glad danco's answer was helpful for you! Indeed, it probably makes more sense to use the version from our website, especially if you plan to sign up for a 1Password account.

Aside from the licensing/payment differences that danco explained, the differences between the AgileBits Store and Mac App Store versions are very minor. For example, the AgileBits Store version checks for updates on our website, but the Mac App Store version is updated via the Mac App Store. Otherwise, they both have the same features.

If you have more questions or need anything else, be sure to let us know. Cheers! :)

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

Drew, I have the MAS version and also the iOS versions and am currently giving the Families subscription version a try. Since I already have the MAS version for my Mac, if I decide to keep the subscription model should I change to the website version of the desktop app? Or is it OK to just keep what I have? Any advantages either way other than the short lag time for MAS updates? Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@LarryMcJ: Honestly there's no real reason to change. I personally find that getting the updates through the App Store is convenient, and we do make an effort to release both concurrently. The best argument I could make for switching is if you wanted to participate in the beta, which is limited to the AgileBits Store version. Otherwise, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. Cheers! :)

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Thanks for confirming what I had I already suspected. Back in the early days of the old "1P" (before the name change) I actively participated in the betas and even answered some questions in the forums (BTW, they're so much nicer now). But since retiring six years ago, I find it more fun to be...well, retired :-)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

since retiring six years ago, I find it more fun to be...well, retired :-)

That reminds me, I love your avatar! I hope to one day enjoy retirement as much as you do. :)

• xandermac
    xandermac
    Community Member
    Options

Does the Mac App Store app include version updates? ie 6-7 when 7 is released?

• Ben
    Options

It does not.

Ben

• Baggins
    Baggins
    Community Member
    Options

I can only see the question, as this query is 14 months old I am sure it was answered, where do I look?

• Ben
    Options

@Baggins

It sounds like you may have an extension in your web browser that is causing replies to be hidden. Do you have any ad blockers or anything like that which might be interfering? If so can you please try temporarily disabling them to see if that helps?

Ben

• Baggins
    Baggins
    Community Member
    Options

thanks.
    that is the issue
    1Blocker blocked 1password!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Baggins: Well that's weird. Thanks for letting us know! They have a ton of different blocking options, all off by default, so it's hard to say which one might the be cause and why. But "Block Comments" looks like a good place to start.

• calvinlu
    calvinlu
    Community Member
    Options

I bought straight from the website. How come my version is only 6.8.9 and the one on the app store is 7? What's the difference?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Depends when you bought. Version 7 is available from the website. However 7 is a paid upgrade, so (I'm not sure) it probably does not show in "check for updates".

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@calvinlu: You can find pricing and details of what's new in the announcement:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever

1Password 6 is no longer available for sale, but if you already purchased it from the Mac App Store, you can install it again from your Apple ID's purchase history.

With version 7, we've decided to have the Mac App Store version only support 1Password.com memberships for simplicity sake, with the version from our website supporting both licenses and memberships.

This discussion has been closed.