When using popup window on mac, have to click twice to pass by "website" to get to my OTP

Options
troyunverdruss
troyunverdruss
Community Member

I've started using the OTP feature in 1password, and in order to get to it I use the cmd-option-\ control to pop up the window. Then I have to click the down arrow to select the OTP value and copy it for use. However, I have to click the down arrow 2 times to get past "website" and I can't reorder the OTP key to be above website. I would like to know if there's anything I can do here to make it more streamlined.

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.3.3 (633000) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macos sierra
Sync Type: icloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @troyunverdruss,

Thanks for taking the time to ask us about that! If you need to copy one-time passwords from your Login items often, I can definitely see how that extra click of the down arrow would become tedious.

I can't reorder the OTP key to be above website. I would like to know if there's anything I can do here to make it more streamlined.

I'm afraid not - the section of a Login item with the username, password, and website cannot be moved, so it will always be at the top of the item details, above any custom sections/fields that you add to it. So if the OTP field is right below the website field, it's as far up in the item details as it can go. Instead of navigating to the OTP field with keyboard arrows, you can click on it with your mouse or trackpad, but I'm not sure if that makes it any easier.

However, I have some good news - our developers have added a feature to the latest beta version of 1Password which will automatically copy the one-time password to the clipboard when you fill a Login item in your browser. So with that feature, you wouldn't need to re-open 1Password mini / browser extension to find & copy the OTP after signing into a website, because it would be copied automatically - you'd simply need to paste it into the OTP field on the website when prompted.

Now, I should mention that having a feature in beta doesn't guarantee it will make it into the next stable release, so I can't make any promises. But assuming all goes well and we're able to include that feature in an update, I think it will make that whole process much easier for you.

If you have more questions about that or need anything else, please let us know. Cheers! :)

• troyunverdruss
    troyunverdruss
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick response, I do end up getting the OTP value for certain websites (that I use multiple times a day for work) quite a bit and the extra click is now something I'm sort of used to, but it still bugs me that there isn't a UI field that I'm clicking through. So when I do it by muscle memory it goes fine, but when I actually look at the fields it trips me up.

I would love to have the OTP value copied to my clipboard automatically... then I wouldn't have to go back for it each time. As an alternative, it would be awesome if your browser integration was smart and when I choose autofill (cmd-) that it dumps the OTP value in when those are needed and user/pass when the form requires that instead.

Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome, @troyunverdruss!

...it would be awesome if your browser integration was smart and when I choose autofill (cmd-) that it dumps the OTP value in when those are needed and user/pass when the form requires that instead.

That would definitely be awesome! :) In case you're curious, the reason why 1Password doesn't fill a one-time password the same way it fills the username and regular password is because the extension doesn't support filling custom fields. So, the same is true for any other custom field you might add to an item in 1Password. That's why it's necessary to copy & paste a custom field from 1Password into a web form, but that will be much easier with the new feature that automatically copies the one-time password for you.

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have more questions - we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.