To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I want to share passwords with a contractor. How do I do that without revealing the password

Luanne
Luanne
Community Member

I'm new to 1PW. I'd like to share my logins with virtual contractors without revealing the password. How do I do that?

1Password Version: web version
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I want to share passwords with a contractor. How do I do that without revealing the password

Comments

• Hi @Luanne! Thanks for giving 1Password a try. :) I see you set up an account as well, and that's a great way to start sharing with your contractors. I noticed it's a family account, and that's for personal use so advanced permissions like reveal password, editing, and specific sharing with guests isn't available. I'd recommend upgrading to 1Password Teams first off. We're adding the capability to upgrade your account from the settings page soon so you will be able to do that. Then you can start sharing with them as guests:

Share passwords and other items with guests

So, hiding passwords. While the contractors may not be able to see them, they have to use them somehow. So if you, say, hid the password for Authorize.net, they would still be able to use it with the browser extension by filling it. In general, we hear that people want to hide passwords because they don't want their team to change them. That's an understandable concern, but hiding the password doesn't add any real security, just some fuzzy borders. Since the team member can use the password by filling it, they can fill it into a field that asks for the old password, then create a new one of the account.

There's no technical way to share a password that is hidden and allow someone to actually use it. There is a permission in 1Password Teams called "Reveal password" that, when disabled, doesn't show that member the password. However, it shouldn't be relied upon as a way to stop people from seeing a password, because if they can still use it (filling in the browser directly) as I mentioned above. You're welcome to use it as a barrier for your team, I just wanted to let you know how this works in practical terms.

Hope that helps!

This discussion has been closed.