Sync with non-Dropbox services

Options
fbara
fbara
Community Member

Considering Dropbox's recent disregard for the security of Mac users, I'm removing all my documents from that service and closing my account. My family shares several 1 Password vaults across Apple & Windows devices. Because of this, using iCloud sync is not an option.

When will we be able to select the cloud-based provider of our choice to sync our data?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Dropbox

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fbara

If you don't want to use Dropbox anymore for syncing you have a couple of options. The easiest way to share several vaults on all platforms and different family members is to get a 1Password Families account. All that you need to do do would be done seamlessly and you'll never have to worry about syncing again.

If you don't want to go this way, you can always set up folder sync and use any cloud you want to keep it in sync. I do want to warn you that this is a more complicated set up, and that you'll be charge of making sure the folder is syncing across all your devices.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else we can help you with :chuffed:

• James_Mallorca
    James_Mallorca
    Community Member
    Options

@fbara I've done the same. I emailed them and Apple, Dropbox sent me an automated reply after about 5 days, Apple at least had the courtesy to answer me properly before ignoring me hahaha. I know it's probably futile of us, but I'm not prepared to use anything from Dropbox while they behave in this way. If only iCloud drive let me share documents in the way Dropbox did I'd never think of it again. Who is the cloud-based provider of your choice, if you don't mind my asking; I'm still looking...

• fbara
    fbara
    Community Member
    Options

@James_Mallorca I'm not sure yet. I know it won't be Google, they're worse than Dropbox in regards to security.

I understand @Pilar's job is to push customers toward their subscription plans but I don't think paying $5/month for years is good plan for families, I know it isn't an option for me. I was interested in the folder sync option until I read that they don't recommend you use it on the one device that's connected to my network 24/7: my NAS.

So, honestly, I don't know what I'm going to do. I'll look at other password providers to see if they make a more budget-friendly, family-friendly solution. Really, agilebits, $5 a month for a family? I'm not against paying for software, I already paid them for multiple devices, but this cost is just too high for families struggling with every other rising cost (and I don't need replies telling me "$5 is not a lot for a family to pay, I pay it!" Great, I'm happy for you.).

• cristopher_burge
    cristopher_burge
    Community Member
    Options

@fbara You should give Odrive a try. The service focuses on file sharing and security. It’s one of the best choices for personal use. It allows you to managed your apps due to its long list of partners. You can find a full review here - http://www.cloudstorage101.com/odrive-review/ . Another option for your needs can be Syncplicity. This service has outstanding security and it’s very user-friendly.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fbara,

I understand @Pilar's job is to push customers toward their subscription plans...

I apologize if that's the way her message sounded to you. She wasn't trying to "push" anything - she was simply explaining your sync options. Aside from Dropbox and iCloud, your options include signing up for a 1Password account (the easiest option) or using Folder sync (a more difficult option, but also the one that allows you to use other sync services). We completely understand if you don't want to sign up for a subscription/account! We still sell and support the standalone apps/licenses for 1Password.

I was interested in the folder sync option until I read that they don't recommend you use it on the one device that's connected to my network 24/7: my NAS.

The article about Folder sync might not have been very clear on this, but you can certainly use a NAS to sync your 1Password data. The key is that you should set up Folder sync to point to a local folder on your Mac, and then use a sync utility / file copy tool (such as Chronosync, rsync, SuperDuper, etc) to copy the contents of that folder to/from the NAS. Set it up the same way on your other Macs and/or Windows PCs. Basically, it's like using Dropbox to sync your data, but instead of the Dropbox app syncing your data between the local Dropbox folder and the Dropbox servers, you'll use a different app to sync your data between a local folder and your NAS.

What the Folder sync article is trying to explain is that you shouldn't sync directly to the NAS. Although it's possible to do it that way, the problem is that there's no Apple API to notify 1Password when a network drive is no longer available like there is for removable (USB) drives. By syncing to a local folder and using another sync app to communicate between that folder and the NAS, you avoid problems that might happen if the NAS is unavailable.

I hope that helps to clear things up a bit! If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

• fbara
    fbara
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay in responding. @Drew_AG, thanks for clarifying the point about the NAS. I will set that up and try it.

I would still like a supported option to sync with other providers, not just Dropbox. If the setup is like you've said, there should be no obvious reason why you can include OneDrive, Amazon Cloud, or any other service 'out of the box'.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem for the delay, @fbara! And thanks for letting us know you'd like to see support for other specific cloud sync services added to 1Password. I can let our developers know you're interested in that, although I can't make any promises about if/when it might happen. It's not actually as easy as it might seem, as there are certain things (like conflict resolution, for example) that are handled differently by each service. So it would take a lot more work than simply adding a few lines of code to support other services. That's not to say it can't be done, but since our developers have been focussed largely on our own sync service, it's not something that is likely to happen anytime soon. We've heard similar requests from other customers though, so it's certainly something our developers can consider.

We're here for you if you need anything else. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.