Trying to clarify exactly how to use a 1Pv6 Family License.

Options
Matt66
Matt66
Community Member

I bought a V6 Family License a few years but have only really actively used it myself so far. I know now things are changing over to the more subscription based options and understand the benefits, differences, etc. but as there's not much mention of the one-off license I'm not clear how you deal with this. So I need to ask a few questions.

1. Do you simply download and then click 'apply license' on each Mac in the family? Each is then authorised and works 'in itself' and with others who share your user-specific DropBox sync? You don't need to validate other family members in any other way other than giving them access to your 'apply license' link. You take it on trust that the four of us just validate our own computers and sync them for our own use. As of course we would anyway. My office Mac seems to think a trial has ended (maybe since an OS update) so I'm thinking I just need to click on that link to reactivate that computer.
  2. What about iOS? Is that another 'island' you buy and use completely separately? Sharing the same DropBox to sync if you so wish, which is obviously a benefit.
  3. Am I correct in thinking I am now on the upgrade 'bus' and will be able to use this family license in perpetuity and stay up to date as it is for the 'full' version that is now just being marketed solely as a subscription service? Just standard version updates as required, never a brick wall or need to switch to a sub? Hope so... I seem to recall that was the incentive to do it years ago, despite no immediate need.

Hopefully that's all I need to know but pitch in if I've forgotten anything. I have just used 1PW myself to record the same passwords and small variations over the years. I think I should now revisit sites and update with freshly generated ones for much higher security. I also see lots of dupes maybe from different devices accessing the same site? But I need to review, sort, update and get my wife and kids to do the same I think. Just want to clarify what to tell them to do before releasing the hounds. If you can confirm and clarify for me I would be much obliged.

Cheers - Matt

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:family license

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Matt66,

Thanks for writing in, you have some excellent questions! It sounds like you already have a solid understanding of how this all works, but I'll be happy to elaborate:

1. Do you simply download and then click 'apply license' on each Mac in the family? Each is then authorised and works 'in itself' and with others who share your user-specific DropBox sync? You don't need to validate other family members in any other way other than giving them access to your 'apply license' link. You take it on trust that the four of us just validate our own computers and sync them for our own use. As of course we would anyway. My office Mac seems to think a trial has ended (maybe since an OS update) so I'm thinking I just need to click on that link to reactivate that computer.

Everything you mentioned here is absolutely correct. The 1Password for Mac Family License you purchased can be used by you and up to five other members of your family on as many Macs as you each use. Like you said, simply download the 1Password app and click the "apply license" link on each Mac to activate it. If the copy of 1Password on your Mac at work says the trial expired, it sounds like you need to apply your license on that one, too.

2. What about iOS? Is that another 'island' you buy and use completely separately? Sharing the same DropBox to sync if you so wish, which is obviously a benefit.

Again, that's correct - when using licenses (instead of a 1Password subscription account), a license is for a specific platform. So your 1Password for Mac Family License is only for the Mac version.

However, the good news is that 1Password 6 for iOS is a free download, and offers free basic features. If you would like to unlock the Pro features in 1Password for iOS, you can do so with an in-app purchase. A single purchase of the Pro features allows you to unlock them in 1Password on all your iOS devices associated with your Apple ID. (If your family members would also like Pro features in 1Password for iOS and use their own Apple IDs, they would need to make their own purchase.)

You may already know this, but just in case: If at some point you decide to sign up for a 1Password account, your subscription would include the 1Password app on all supported platforms, and that includes the Pro features in 1Password for iOS and Android. So with an account, there's no need for separate licenses/purchases.

3. Am I correct in thinking I am now on the upgrade 'bus' and will be able to use this family license in perpetuity and stay up to date as it is for the 'full' version that is now just being marketed solely as a subscription service? Just standard version updates as required, never a brick wall or need to switch to a sub? Hope so... I seem to recall that was the incentive to do it years ago, despite no immediate need.

It sounds like you're correct here as well! But just to be clear: Your license for the purchased version will never expire and you can continue to use it as long as your operating system supports it. Updates for your licensed version (for example, 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, and so on) are free. A new version such as 1Password 7 for Mac might be a paid upgrade, but we don't force you to upgrade and you can certainly continue using your version 6 license if you want (although we can't guarantee version 6 will work on future versions of macOS).

Alternately, if you decide to sign up for a 1Password account at some point, your subscription would include future upgrades for the 1Password app on each supported platform at no additional charge - again, it's all included in the subscription. But don't worry, we won't force you to switch to an account - we know many customers prefer standalone licenses instead of subscriptions, so we sell and support both! :)

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions or need any help, just let us know. We're here for you!

• Matt66
    Matt66
    Community Member
    Options

OK cool, great! Thanks Drew for all the confirmations that I appear to have got it all just about right. I wasn't sure about the future plans really. It's nice to know I have a non-sub option and the option to change too if necessary for one or more family members. I think I already added pro features on iOS but I really need to give the whole thing a decent review and get things organised. I've mainly just used it as a simple archive so far and not really used any of the clever features as I know I really should have done. Thanks again.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Matt66

On behalf of Drew, you're very welcome! There are quite a few options on how to use 1Password and we hope that there's always one that's right for each of you :chuffed: If you have any other questions about them, or there's anything else that you'd like to know we're always here to help you!

This discussion has been closed.