Missing account key

Options
jameslacombe
jameslacombe
Community Member

Just upgraded my Mac to OS 10.12 and upgraded from iPassword 3 to 6 after the machine was wiped clean; cannot access my account key or QR code. I've downloaded my license, but I get no place to enter that to log in to my account; it keeps asking for the account key. It's a rabbit hole: I just keep getting a screen that---instead of taking me to my account code---tells me to download the license key, which leads back to the same instructions. Would love it if someone might be able to offer a real solution so I can use the software I first bought in 2013, and had much the same issue with then. I do not have the Emergency Kit which was said to have been automatically downloaded upon the initial purchase.

1Password Version: 6.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• vee
    vee
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hi @jameslacombe,

Congrats on the big upgrade! As you may have noticed, 1Password for Mac has changed a lot since 2013 (haven't we all?) and the licensing process has changed a bit as well. But you're in luck! If you bought 1Password 3 in 2013, you actually also have a valid license for 1Password 6... without so much as an upgrade fee. Sweet!

Your 1Password 3 license was a "key" -- a string of numbers and letters -- but since version 4, the license has been a file rather than a key. How you add your license to your new 1Password 6 app depends on where you bought 1Password 3 from originally: the AgileBits Store or the Mac App Store. If this is starting to sound confusing, don't worry, this helpful support article explains everything.

You can skip all the prompts to log into a 1Password account, because the 1Password account is a new development that you wouldn't have been using with version 3. What you have is most likely not an account, but a local vault or vaults.

Which brings me to my next question: where did you back up or synced your vault(s) to? If the machine was wiped clean and you still want to access your saved logins and items, you will need to have backed up your 1Password vault keychain (likely a file called 1password.agilekeychain) and/or synced it to Dropbox or to another device. This support article may help you restore your data.

If you have any further questions as you get 1Password up and running on your freshly upgraded Mac, be sure to provide us as much info as possible about your 1Password setup (without revealing too much personally identifiable info in this public forum) so we'll be able to give you the most accurate solution.

Let us know how it goes! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jameslacombe,

I'm sorry the setup options were a bit confusing! We're working on making them clearer in future versions.

Was Vee's reply helpful for you? If you still need help or have any questions about that, please let us know. We're here for you! :)

• jameslacombe
    jameslacombe
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks to both Vee and Drew; I'm waiting for my IT person to send me the vault keychain from the backup. Will report back when I get it and resolve the issue.

Thanks again..

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Vee, you're very welcome! Please don't hesitate to let us know if you need more help with that. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.