Stainless

F451
F451
Community Member
edited December 1969 in Lounge
What do those who have tried Stainless think of it?

Comments

• dteare
    edited December 1969
    F451 wrote:
    What do those who have tried Stainless think of it?

I had planned to play with it, but this introductory paragraph on their site completely turned me off:

First, a disclaimer: At this point, Stainless is really just a technology demo and is likely to stay that way
  • F451
    F451
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I don't believe it will ever evolve into a browser, but it is a good exercise that I enjoyed testing out.
  • follerec
    edited December 1969
    I'm sorry for bringing this 5-month old thread back to life, but Stainless has changed their first paragraph into this:

Although Stainless started out as a technology demo to showcase our own multi-processing architecture in response to Google Chrome, we've been inspired by our growing fanbase to forge ahead and craft Stainless into a full-fledged browser. In fact, Stainless now has features you won't find in Chrome or in any other browser.

So... any chance 1Password could support it?
  • gardnerscot
    gardnerscot
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    follerec wrote:
    I'm sorry for bringing this 5-month old thread back to life, but Stainless has changed their first paragraph into this:

So... any chance 1Password could support it?

I vote +1 for supporting stainless
  • dteare
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the bump! I hadn't noticed this change.

I'm not sure if we can support it or not; we will need to dig deeper to investigate if it's possible.

At the moment we have our heads down on other pressing items, so I won't be able to investigate for quite some time.
  • follerec
    edited December 1969
    Great to hear. Maybe by the time things settle down there (with version 3.0 perhaps?), Google will release Chrome for Mac that will have better plugin support that you can easily support. :grin:
  • 1Jeff
    1Jeff
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    For 18, I think I should call myself set in my ways. I don't know how I could ever move away from Firefox. However, with the (or rather my) advent of 1Password (as in my idea to finally buy it after being told of its virtues thrice by a friend) I can say I would think about it. Its kind of like being a former windows fanboy. You never really stop liking ut but eventually you must move on (sometimes). So maybe I will try it, but for now I don't think I could ever move away. I have so many plugins!!! :D

On that token, there should be a universal browser plugin language. AgileScript anyone? :P XUL is awesome but can't run on every browser. It'd be a huge undertaking however, but I think that one day there will be. Until then, I think I might just wait :P
  • blatch
    blatch
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    It seems like Stainless is just some sort of process wrapper for webkit windows. quite slick, and just what i want in a browser. +1 for stainless support.
  • Agrajag
    Agrajag
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    +1 for 1Password integration in Stainless. It's the one thing keeping me from use it more often.
  • tophfisher
    edited December 1969
    Hi all -

Long time lurker here, just created an account here to give my +1 vote for Stainless. These guys are working to turn this into what might be one of the best browsers for the Mac.

Session independent tabs are HUGE for me having multiple Google accounts. The only thing holding me back from using this browser full-time is 1Password to be honest! I still spend a lot of time in Stainless because it is so great though.

A lot of the nice features of Chrome, in a useable browser today. Plus a few new innovations they are working on (like Session independent tabs, bookmark shelf, etc) will let this browser stand on it's own against Safari 4, Chrome, and Firefox/Camino. (talk)

-Chris
  • tdowling
    edited December 1969
    I would also love to see support for Stainless! This multi-process/parallel sessions thing is pretty rockin'. Apologies for my ignorance, but does the fact that a browser is built on WebKit make it easier to implement something like 1Password? Or is the engine not that huge of a factor compared to other things?
  • Carl
    Carl
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    tdowling wrote:
    I would also love to see support for Stainless! This multi-process/parallel sessions thing is pretty rockin'. Apologies for my ignorance, but does the fact that a browser is built on WebKit make it easier to implement something like 1Password? Or is the engine not that huge of a factor compared to other things?

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think that it has a huge impact on it.
  • jpease
    edited December 1969
    +1 for 1password support in stainless
  • milesf
    edited December 1969
    +2 for stainless integration. I registered here simply to post this message. As soon as 1password is supported I'm switching to it.

Stainless is so fast and I reckon will become the norm in a few years when it comes to parallel sessions.
  • drbones666
    drbones666
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Aw... I was hoping this was a thread for the Harry Harrison Stainless Steel Rat books.
  • Tassels
    edited December 1969
    Stainless support would definitely be nice. +1
  • Carl
    Carl
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Please note that Stainless is still in development and doesn't yet have all the features you'd find in a production-ready browser. As we work towards a 1.0 release, you can check out what's new in every update by clicking the version link under the Download button.

Based on our past experience I think it is fairly safe to say that we probably won't look into this until there is at least a 1.0 release.
  • NimbleHost
    edited December 1969
    Carl wrote:
    Based on our past experience I think it is fairly safe to say that we probably won't look into this until there is at least a 1.0 release.

+1 Vote for Stainless support.

As a fellow mac developer, I understand your reasoning behind wanting to wait for a 1.0 release, but I sincerely hope you'll reconsider.

Best,
    Jonathan
  • Saket
    edited December 1969
    +2 for Stainless support. I do understand your reluctance to committing to developing for an unproven browser, but as soon as this starts to look like a serious project to you, I'd love for there to be 1Password support!

Stainless is lean, fast and uncluttered and despite the fact that it is a dev-release, I'm already using it as my primary browser.

I just signed in to the forum just to post this message: I did it in Stainless and I generated my forum password using 1Password!

Best,
    Saket
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the feedback, Saket, and welcome to the forums.
  • npfthunfan
    edited December 1969
    +1 for stainless support. I'm a safari fanboy but the only thing stopping me from moving to stainless is the 1Password support... so maybe make that +5 for stainless
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Hi, npfthunfan, welcome to the forums. Have you seen our recent blog entry about the Logins bookmarklet?

http://agile.ws/blog

It mentions Chrome and Opera users, but we've received reports that the bookmarklet can be dragged into Stainless and used there, also.
  • bobfink@gmail.com
    bobfink@gmail.com
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Didn't work on Stainless for me; did work on Chrome. Cool.
  • samuel1278
    edited December 1969
    +1 vote for stainless integration.(call)

Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Ditto a +1 for stainless integration. They've been on a plateau with 0.7.5w21 for some time now. Whew! Long way to go before they get to 1.0. Maybe the developer is using Chrome. Just kidding :)
  • dteare
    edited December 1969
    Fillip wrote:
    Maybe the developer is using Chrome. Just kidding :)

He might be! (giggle)
  • passify
    passify
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    one more +1 vote for Stainless integration. As others have stated, the only thing keeping me from using Stainless as my primary browser is 1Password integration.

Though I also am a fan of Safari, multi-threaded tabs and tabs with parallel sessions is why I would jump ship to Stainless.

Each tab in Stainless runs independently in a separate process, which means:

• Increased performance.
    Slow page loads (especially due to plugins such as Flash) can't affect the responsiveness of the browser or other tabs.

• Increased stability.
    Crashed pages can't bring down the browser or other tabs.

• Decreased memory usage.
    Once a tab is closed, the memory for that session is completely freed to the system.
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the feedback, passify.
  • rurwin
    edited December 1969
    You add me to the list that would like to see 1Password integration into Stainless
  • macpug
    macpug
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the feedback, rwurwin. We appreciate you tossing your hat into the ring as well. I'm going to give it a look this weekend myself, as I haven't looked at it since its "demo" stage. I wasn't aware they'd decided to take the plunge until I saw the thread bump.
This discussion has been closed.