Editing Web for details for Radio buttons and Checkboxes

Options
skippingrock
skippingrock
Community Member
edited September 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

Hello, there are times that a website changes the IDs for their websites or add additional options.
Or there are times in which you want to manually create a login.

For the Text and Password fields you can easily change the values, but for Radio and Checkboxes you cannot edit the ID for the specific Radio or Checkbox and if you create a new one for the group it gives you a blank value.

Could you please allow your power users to be able to edit these?

The other reason for wanting to do this is that there are times where a form changes and I need create a new one, but I don't want to lose the creation history and password history for an item. So I want to be able to take what is recorded in the newly created login item and then copy the Web Form Details from it to the update the old one.

1Password Version: 650020
Extension Version: 4.6.2.b1
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: 1P/dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello, there are times that a website changes the IDs for their websites or add additional options. Or there are times in which you want to manually create a login.
    For the Text and Password fields you can easily change the values, but for Radio and Checkboxes you cannot edit the ID for the specific Radio or Checkbox and if you create a new one for the group it gives you a blank value.
    Could you please allow your power users to be able to edit these?

@skippingrock: Hmm. That's a very interesting request! While I don't think this is something most power users even want to do (manually editing form data is not the most fun thing ever), you make a very good point:

The other reason for wanting to do this is that there are times where a form changes and I need create a new one, but I don't want to lose the creation history and password history for an item. So I want to be able to take what is recorded in the newly created login item and then copy the Web Form Details from it to the update the old one.

This is, admittedly, not something I'd ever considered before, but you're absolutely right: saving a new login does effectively "wipe the slate clean" when it comes to any historical data. Have you tried using the "Update Existing" login saving feature instead? This will retain your history, while refreshing the form data. The only caveat is that Autosave won't be triggered if the password is the same. But you can save the login manually and then choose that option. Let me know if that helps, and I'd like to hear more of your thoughts on this. :)

• skippingrock
    skippingrock
    Community Member
    Options

See my posts on
    discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/330628#Comment_330628
    For answers to your questions.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016
    Options

Thanks, @skippingrock. It's a subtle thing, but right now, the Update Existing option doesn't update all the web form details, only the username and password. We definitely need to do better in this regard and we do have an issue in our bug tracker open for this. That being said, this is the kind of thing that 1Password should be able to do without a bunch of gymnastics in the browser, and that is also something we are working on. I don't have much more to share about that right now, but I do want you to know that we're aware of the need for improvement here.

Edit: The other thing that I should mention is that part of the problem you're seeing is that we don't do a good job of handling radio buttons and checkboxes. There are some issues with fixing this that center around some backward compatibility concerns, but we have taken the first step in a change that's currently in review so that we can properly address the problematic saving in a future release.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

ref: OPM-2708
    ref: BRAIN-111

This discussion has been closed.