To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Subscription plan but without any of the cloud features. Is it possible?

Options
zenonas
zenonas
Community Member
edited September 2016 in Memberships

Hi,

I am a long time LastPass user (6 years+) but I've been reviewing 1Password and considering making the jump. This is mainly because of the more attractive interface and organisation features and the potential of being in control of my data. I was looking at the subscription plans available and was wondering if it is possible to purchase a subscription but use 1Password as if I simply had bought it standalone. So take no advantage of the website login or the 1Password account syncing. I only use Apple devices and iCloud syncing would be ideal for me for example. As an added bonus my Apple account has 2FA which adds an extra layer of security to my data. Effectively I'd like my data to never be available in the 1Password "cloud".

Additionally I'd be interested in using the Mac App Store to keep the app up to date. Is it possible with a subscription plan?

Sorry if these were answered previously I couldn't find relevant responses in my brief search.

Thank you for your help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @zenonas! Thanks for considering 1Password! I'm glad you like our interface. :blush: You could use the subscription to pay for 1Password and not sync your data to the servers, but we don't recommend it. You would need to sign in to your account in all the apps so they know you've paid for 1Password, then you could add local vaults to each one and use those instead. I'd prefer to discuss the security of 1Password instead of suggesting this. ;) We do a lot to make sure you can feel safe with your data stored on the 1Password servers.

There are three umbrellas of security in 1Password accounts. Before all of them is your Master Password and Account Key. In the standalone version of 1Password, everything is protected by your Master Password and all the security wizardry in the app. But in an account, the Account Key is used to strengthen things even further. If you have a weak password, it's very unlikely someone will be able to access your data because the Account Key is a 128-bit string of characters that's generated locally when you set up your account. It never leaves your device, and we ask that you print it out to have a copy in case you need it later — you're probably not going to remember the whole thing. ;)

It’s great to have a Master Password and Account Key protect your data, but they also need to communicate with the server to access your data, so we use three layers to protect things at rest and in transit. The first layer is based on your Master Password and Account key, which are used to derive a secret that is used to securely encrypt all of your data, both at rest and in transit between your devices and our servers. The second layer is based on the Secure Remote Password protocol. It allows your devices and our servers to make sure they are who they say they are. This provides an additional layer of protection against attack. The third and final layer is the standard TLS/SSL protocol. This layer provides a final layer of encryption and also allows your web browser to indicate that you were communicating directly with a 1Password web server.

That's a basic rundown of things. I highly recommend this article for more details about how syncing is secured in general:

How 1Password protects your data when you use a sync service

And of course our security white paper is a fantastic resource, written by our security leader Jeff Goldberg. If you have any questions about it or other security matters, just let us know.

Additionally I'd be interested in using the Mac App Store to keep the app up to date. Is it possible with a subscription plan?

The AgileBits Store version is best. It gets updates sooner than the Mac App Store one since we can serve them immediately. :) It is possible to use the Mac App Store one with the subscription plan, but since the app is paid in the App Store, you would have to pay again.

Hope that helps!

This discussion has been closed.