To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Some questions from a new user

ap89
ap89
Community Member
edited September 2016 in Memberships

hello everyone, i am just starting to use this 1password service and i have some questions.

1) i made an account, on my internet account i have 89 items, on my mac application i have 89 items, on my android phone i have 86 items (of course all the three are connected to the account). why is it so? could it be the 3 file i have attached to some items?

i think that's it because for some documents that i have attached, it shows 2 items on the mac and the website but only 1 on the phone app. and in the phone app i can't see the attachment. why is that?

2) where am i supposed to store the account key password? should i print that page and hide it somewhere? because from my understanding if i lose my master password and the key password i have no longer access to all my data no matter what i do, right?

3) on my mac there 2 vault, the personal one under my account and the other main one which is local. how do i remove the local one so that i only have the one linked to the account?

4) if i lose my key password but only remember my master password, will i be able to access all my data on the account?

thanks

1Password Version: 1password 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: mac os el capitan
Sync Type: 1password account

Comments

• ap89
    ap89
    Community Member

5) if somebody has my key password but not my master password, can he enter in my account?

• Hi @ap89,

Thanks for taking the time to write in!

1) i made an account, on my internet account i have 89 items, on my mac application i have 89 items, on my android phone i have 86 items (of course all the three are connected to the account). why is it so? could it be the 3 file i have attached to some items?

At the moment 1Password for Android does not support Documents. As such you will not be able to view them there. Sorry for the inconvenience. We do hope to add support in the future.

2) where am i supposed to store the account key password? should i print that page and hide it somewhere? because from my understanding if i lose my master password and the key password i have no longer access to all my data no matter what i do, right?

Yes, our recommendation is to print and store the Emergency Kit somewhere safe. You may want to write in your Master Password on the kit, depending on the level of security offered by your storage location and how well you trust your memory.

3) on my mac there 2 vault, the personal one under my account and the other main one which is local. how do i remove the local one so that i only have the one linked to the account?

In 1Password > Preferences > Advanced uncheck the option "allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts"

4) if i lose my key password but only remember my master password, will i be able to access all my data on the account?

Yes and no.

To add a new 1Password client or login on the website from a new browser you'll need your Account Key. But 1Password clients you've already logged into store your Account Key. If you can login with your Master Password, you can retrieve it. But if you somehow lose access to all of your devices then yes you'd be logged out.

5) if somebody has my key password but not my master password, can he enter in my account?

Only if they have access to one of your devices.

Your Master Password protects you in the case that someone gets ahold of a device. Your Account Key protects you from someone trying to login on a device that you haven't logged in on. Both are required to access your account.

Ben

• ap89
    ap89
    Community Member

Thank you @Ben

• You're most welcome. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.