iCloud Drive lists 1Password more than once in iCloud settings

khad
khad
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Live Conversation Support.

Comments

• MathiasPriebe
    MathiasPriebe
    Community Member

Hello Jacob, may I ask you a short question? It's about iCloud with 1password

• MathiasPriebe
    MathiasPriebe
    Community Member

Have you ever seen this? There is a onepassword-File in my iCloud drive but a 1password too. What does it
    mean?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@MathiasPriebe,

I moved your post to the Mac category since iCloud is not related to 1Password accounts. (A 1Password account syncs directly through 1Password.com, so it doesn't use iCloud at all.)

If you upgraded to 1Password 5 or later, you may see two listings for 1Password in iCloud's storage management pane.

The extra 1Password entries are not a cause for concern. In fact, they're are an indication that your upgrade went successfully. When you opened the new version of 1Password for the first time, your data was copied from the old iCloud into the new CloudKit-based sync system. The original data was not deleted during this process and remains listed in iCloud alongside the new data.

There's no need to do anything about duplicate 1Password entries in iCloud. The old data generally takes up very little space and should not interfere with the new data (or vice versa). We also recommend against simply deleting one of the entries in the iCloud storage list, as there is no foolproof way to tell the old and new data apart.

• MathiasPriebe
    MathiasPriebe
    Community Member

Hello Khad, thanks for the quick response. What about the strange file name? I never had an "Onepassword". It has always been 1Password, wasn't it? Even the logo doesn't look familiar. If iCloud would at least tell me the date of last changes as every file storage does.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MathiasPriebe,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you about this!

What about the strange file name? I never had an "Onepassword".

Back in 1Password 4, the sync data file in iCloud was called "onepassword". I don't know the exact reason for that, but you're right that it's a bit confusing since the app itself uses the number '1'. That was changed in newer versions, which is why the other file you see in your iCloud storage is called "1Password".

Even the logo doesn't look familiar.

That's a generic/default icon because it didn't have a custom 1Password icon. I've seen data files for other apps appear that way too, although these days most of the data files I see there have their own icons to make them easier to recognize.

If iCloud would at least tell me the date of last changes as every file storage does.

The old data file there won't cause any harm, but you can feel free to delete the "onepassword" data file from your iCloud storage if you'd like - it should definitely be the older one. If you'd like to make sure, you can add a new item to 1Password on your Mac (like a Secure Note, and just enter some random text in the title and notes field). Wait for iCloud to sync it, then check the sizes of those two data files in the iCloud storage again. The one that changes is the current sync data, and you can delete the other one.

Hopefully this helps to clear up the confusion, but if you have more questions about that, please let us know! :)

• MathiasPriebe
    MathiasPriebe
    Community Member

Thank you all for helping me on this!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of khad and Drew, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.