sites reject passwords created by the generator

Tinman
Tinman
Community Member

New user here. Using the generator, managed to screw up passwords for two different sites. Both sites rejected the passwords created by the generator. How can I avoid this? I've completely lost access to my PayPal account.

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: none
Referrer: forum-search:sites reject passwords created by the generator

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Tinman

I'm very sorry to hear that the generator got you into some trouble! We have designed the Password generator to be as secure as possible, however some sites still have some policies for passwords that are not necessarily the most secure or actual best practice. The best I can recommend you is to make sure you check what each site's password policy is. Things like "between 8 and 20 characters, at least one symbol, one number, can't start with the number" are sadly still common and you have to check them "by hand" as they differ from site to site. My guess with PayPal is that you pasted a password longer than it can handle and PayPal just cropped it at will instead of showing an error :(

If you have any other questions or if there's anything else we can do to help you, we're here for you :chuffed:

• Tinman
    Tinman
    Community Member

Thank you. I will check out each site's password requirements before I try to replace using the generator.

Got the PayPal account back, but you're software is still giving me fits. Going to take a break for awhile, then get back to it.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Tinman

It's good to hear that you got access to Pay Pal again! I'm sorry to hear that 1Password is giving you some trouble. If you need any help or guidance we're here for you, just say the word :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.