User ID's won't update on 1Password

solitaryman1
solitaryman1
Community Member

I'm in the process of changing all my usernames on 1 Password. After I successfully change them on the websites, shouldn't 1Password drop a box down and ask if I want to save it, like it does for a password change, because it's not? I have to manually change it.

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Does username change update on 1Password?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @solitaryman1,

Thanks for writing in to ask about that, it's a good question! :)

What you've described is actually normal, and the reason is that username fields and password fields work differently from each other. It's fairly easy for 1Password to detect when you've filled in a password field in a web form because password fields are unique in the way they work (for example, they normally hide the text you type).

On the other hand, a username field on a web form is usually just a plain text field, so 1Password doesn't have a way to reliably tell the difference between a username field and any other type of text field. In order for 1Password to prompt you when entering a username, it would also have to prompt you when entering an email address, name, phone number, coupon code, or even a number of items you want to purchase, as those are all text fields which work the same way as a username field.

Because the autosave prompt is only triggered when a password field is involved, if you change just your username in a web form, you'll need to remember to update your Login item in 1Password with that new username.

I hope that helps to explain why it works that way, but if you have more questions or need anything else, don't hesitate to let us know. Cheers! :)

• solitaryman1
    solitaryman1
    Community Member

Ok, that answers that. As long as 1Password is in good working order, that's all that concerns me.
    Thanks for the response.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome! We're here for you if you need anything else. Have a great day! :)

This discussion has been closed.