Documents in Families

Options
tastyroadkill
tastyroadkill
Community Member

Just migrated from standalone to Families trial and want to make sure I'm handling documents correctly.

In the standalone app I had attachments on 10 different entries. Now, I have 10 separate document entries, one for each attachment (now called documents). The password entries that contained the attachments no longer have the actual attachments embedded; rather, there is a link to the document entry.

So what was previously one password/attachment entry, now becomes two separate entries: a password entry that also has a link to the document entry (which of course contains the document).

So if I had 300 entries in the standalone app and ten entries included attachments, now I have 310 entries in Families because there are ten additional entries that contain those attachments (documents).

Am I correct?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello again @tastyroadkill! :) You're using Documents correctly. They are separate items, whereas attachments were within the item itself. We changed the vault structure with 1Password accounts and Documents make the experience much more seamless in that context. Hope that helps!

• tastyroadkill
    tastyroadkill
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Jacob. Can you tell me what you mean by more seamless? To me it seems more beneficial to have the document attached to the actual file to which it is related or belongs. I'm sure there's a good reason for the way it is now, but I'm trying to learn what it is.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tastyroadkill: Great question! That's just the thing: a document doesn't "belong" to anything: it's just another item with its own data. Trying to store files as attachments within other items can complicate things. For example, to make a change to it, you really have to save it, edit it, un-attach the "original" attachment, and attach the new version. In the case of the previous vault formats, it also meant some size limitations were necessary since they always had to sync completely to each device (since they were part of another item). Having an item with text only (separate from any files) means that you can view the item's details without having to download the file document it's linked to every time. Finally, a document can be linked from multiple places. Documents are just a lot more flexible, especially considering round trips between the server and your devices. It adds up. :)

This discussion has been closed.