Cannot disable sync via GUI

rbrtblnk
rbrtblnk
Community Member

Hey everyone,

a while ago I set up syncing of my primary vault to a local webdav folder (backed by Cryptomator). Now that folder is gone, and I’d like to disable syncing, since 1Password gives me a lot of "Cannot connect to localhost" errors when running.

When I go to Settings > Sync and try to disable the syncing, the localhost error pops up several times and I seem to be able to deactivate syncing. However, once I restart 1Password, syncing is active again and still trying to connect to localhost.

I suspect, the GUI is trying to access the former sync location, prior to disabling it. How can I force disable syncing? The GUI doesn’t seem to work in my case.

Best regards
Rob

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Local folder (WebDAV)
Referrer: forum-search:Cannot disable sync

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rbrtblnk: Thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry for the trouble! The localhost error is actually coming from OS X. 1Password just references the file path, but the OS is (understandably) saying it no longer exists. That said, you should be able to disable sync by — of all things — backing up and restoring your data. Since we don't want your data syncing immediately upon restore to avoid conflicts, doing a restore will disable sync completely. I hope this helps. Let me know how it turns out! :)

• rbrtblnk
    rbrtblnk
    Community Member

Awesome! Worked like a charm. Thanks a lot for your quick response! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. You are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that did the trick! It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're here for you! :)

• robinnorth
    robinnorth
    Community Member

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but I'm having the same issue with 1Password 6.5.2 and doing a backup and restore doesn't seem to be possible for me -- the backups list is completely empty and a new backup cannot be triggered as 1Password is periodically freezing whilst attempting to access the now-gone network volume.

Is there any way to disable syncing without using the GUI at all?

Thanks in advance!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@robinnorth: I'm not sure how you could have set a network volume as a backup location in the first place to get into this predicament since this isn't configurable, but we'll figure something out. Try quitting 1Password by holding down the (Control) key while selecting Quit 1Password and 1Password mini from the 1Password menu, and then restart the app and let me know if that helps. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• robinnorth
    robinnorth
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply, @brenty. My issue is that I had a network volume (WebDAV folder) set as the sync location for two of my vaults, like the original poster @rbrtblnk and, like him, I needed to be able to disable syncing the vaults with this location now that it's no longer accessible but also found that the mac OS 'There was a problem connecting to the server' dialogue kept preventing 1Password from functioning correctly. Additionally, my Backup pane in Preferences was showing no entries, so I was unable to try the Restore method that @rbrtblnk indicated worked for him.

However, I quit 1Password and 1Password Mini as instructed before restarting the app and this resulted in backups appearing in the Backup pane list under Preferences. I have now been able to restore my vaults and select new sync locations for the two that were previously synced to a network volume. Thanks for providing the missing piece of the puzzle!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Fantastic! Thanks for following up. You are most welcome! I'm glad that helped you get things sorted out. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.