sync 1password 4 on mac with iOS 10 on iphone?

bunker
bunker
Community Member

Running Mavericks and 1password 3.8.22 on a 2009 MacBook Pro. don't want to upgrade the operating system.
Have a new iphone running iOS 10. Want to find out what i need to do sync from my Mac to 1pw on iphone.

believe following is true:

• 1password 3.8.22 will not be able to sync locally with the 1password iphone app that works in iOS 10
  • Can upgrade to 1pw 4 on mac but not to latest 1pw version (which i think is 6)

If I upgrade to 1pw4 on my Mac, will I be able to sync to 1pw in iOS 10?

Or would i have to upgrade operating system on my Mac (to beyond Mavericks) AND upgrade 1pw to latest version on Mac in order to sync with iphone 1pw app?

Hope it is the former (i.e., 1pw 4, which works on Mac, will enable sync to iOS 10)

Thanks.

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.9.5
Sync Type: local

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bunker,

Thanks for writing in about this! I can definitely help to explain your options.

Have a new iphone running iOS 10.

You didn't mention what version of 1Password you're using on your iPhone, so I'll assume the latest, which is currently version 6.

believe following is true:

• 1password 3.8.22 will not be able to sync locally with the 1password iphone app that works in iOS 10

I'm not sure what you mean by "locally". Are you referring to the Wi-Fi / WLAN Server sync option? If so, you're correct - the Wi-Fi sync option in 1Password 3 for Mac will not work with 1Password 6 for iOS. If you want to use Wi-Fi/WLAN Server sync, you'll need to upgrade to a newer version of 1Password on your Mac.

On the other hand, you can use Dropbox to sync your data between 1Password 3 for Mac and 1Password 6 for iOS.

• Can upgrade to 1pw 4 on mac but not to latest 1pw version (which i think is 6)

Absolutely! If you bought a 1Password 3 for Mac license in 2013, the upgrade is free. Otherwise, you can purchase the upgrade from our Upgrade Store. The upgrade would actually be for 1Password 6 for Mac, but the same license file also works with version 4. You can download 1Password 4 for Mac from the "Legacy" section at the bottom of our download site.

If I upgrade to 1pw4 on my Mac, will I be able to sync to 1pw in iOS 10?

Definitely! 1Password 4 for Mac and 1Password 6 for iOS can sync via Dropbox or Wi-Fi / WLAN Server.

Hopefully that answers your questions, but please let us know if you need anything else. We're always happy to help! :)

• bunker
    bunker
    Community Member

Thanks for quick reply! That answers all my questions.

——————————

Yes by "locally" i was referring to wifi/wlan sync.

good to know Dropbox sync would work for 1pw 3 on mac and latest 1pw on iphone / iOS 10. I had not considered that as possible option that would enable me to sync to iphone with 3.8.22 / not have to upgrade 1pw on mac...

——————————

on iphone - assume i have latest version of 1pw (just upgraded to iOS 10 - and downloaded the 1pw version in iphone app store)

——————————

so sounds like two options:

1. dropbox sync with software as is on mac / iphone (3.8.22 / 6)
    2. wifi sync - would have to upgrade mac to v4 (which would run in Mavericks. believe v6 not run in Mavericks?)
  • bunker
    bunker
    Community Member

Actually I just tried to configure Dropbox - and found following on your support site:

https://support.1password.com/sync-with-dropbox/

"Dropbox requires 1Password 4 or newer."

so looks like i cannot stay with v3 and sync to iphone. will have to upgrade...

thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bunker,

Thanks for pointing that out - I believe that's actually referring to 1Password 3 for iOS (a very old version which stopped working with Dropbox several years ago). I'll let our docs team know that should be clarified.

Unless Dropbox has made a change on their end which would make it stop working on Mavericks, you should still be able to use Dropbox to sync with 1Password 3 for Mac. 1Password simply copies data to/from a sync file stored in the local Dropbox folder on a Mac, and the Dropbox app syncs that file to/from the Dropbox servers (and your other devices).

However, having said that, I recommend upgrading to (at least) version 4 anyway, because that will be a better experience in general. 1Password 4, 5, and 6 are all similar to each other (i.e. they have most of the same features), but they're very different from 1Password 3. One of the major differences is that 1Password 3 didn't support multiple vaults, as we first added that ability in version 4.

We're here for you if you have more questions about that! :)

• bunker
    bunker
    Community Member

Thanks. That is all very helpful. Yes i think time has probably come for me to update to v4 on my 2009 MacBook Pro (and maybe even update beyond Mavericks at some point so i could go to 1pw on v6... - think 5,6 don't work on Mavericks)

by the way, if i go to v4 and for whatever reason have any issues / don't like, etc., is it possible to revert back to v3?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bunker,

Yes i think time has probably come for me to update to v4 on my 2009 MacBook Pro (and maybe even update beyond Mavericks at some point so i could go to 1pw on v6... - think 5,6 don't work on Mavericks)

That's correct - 1Password 5 and 6 require OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) or higher (El Capitan, Sierra) and will not work on Mavericks. Is there any particular reason you haven't upgraded to a newer version of the OS? Mavericks was released 3 years ago, and Apple has released 3 major new versions of OS X / macOS since then, as well as many security improvements.

by the way, if i go to v4 and for whatever reason have any issues / don't like, etc., is it possible to revert back to v3?

Yes, that's certainly possible. Version 4 is installed as a separate app from version 3, so you can leave the 1Password 3 app installed for now while you try out version 4. (But you'll need to uninstall or at least disable the version 3 browser extension in order for the version 4 browser extension to work.)

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that 1Password 3 isn't compatible with the latest versions of some browsers, and the 1Password 3 main app doesn't work well at all on El Capitan or Sierra. You can read more details about that here: 1Password 3: Modern browsers and OS X

This discussion has been closed.