1 Mac with 2 accounts // 2 iPhones --> using same vault (primary)

Schwarzlinger
Schwarzlinger
Community Member

Dear agilebits Team.

Well, not the first one having a question on having/sharing 1 vault for 2 users. I have searched your support area but I am still not sure how to handle this.

Following situation:

• 1 MAC, with 2 separate user accounts
  • Every user has his own Apple ID
  • 1Password installed (purchased from agile bits)
  • User 1 is already using 1password on the MAC and has a primary vault set-up
  • User 1 has already 1password on his iPhone, syncing it by using iCloud

What is the best solution if

• User 2 wants to use the primary vault which is in use by User 1
  • both users want to synchronise this primary vault with everybody's iPhone

I have seen many (potential) solutions, however not sure what is the best for us.

• do we both need to create a dropbox account as vehicle to share the vault?
  • is there a set-up possible / recommended / not recommended that syncing a vault between the Mac and iPhone happens by using iCloud while sharing this vault between both users by using dropbox?
  • do we need to create a new vault and share this then between both users? Or can the primary vault be shared?
  • can syncing with a folder be a solution?
  • could we both sync using iCloud?

We want to keep it as simple as possible (not really a surprise).
My questions might be a bit confusing (in case I blame also my English skills), but it reflects how I currently feel. I hope you understand what my situation is. Thank you very much for any help, support and suggestion how to set this up.

Best regards.
Schwarzlinger

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: 4.5.9
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Schwarzlinger,

Thanks for writing in with your questions about sharing a vault! I'll be happy to help explain your options.

• do we both need to create a dropbox account as vehicle to share the vault?

In short, yes. iCloud does not let you share the data with a different Apple ID, so vaults cannot be shared via iCloud.

The easiest way to share vaults is with our 1Password Teams or 1Password Families service. If you're interested in how that would work, you can find the steps here: How to create family and team vaults and share items

If you want to share vaults without signing up for a Teams or Families account, you can use Dropbox sharing. We explain how to do that here: How to share a vault using Dropbox

• is there a set-up possible / recommended / not recommended that syncing a vault between the Mac and iPhone happens by using iCloud while sharing this vault between both users by using dropbox?

No, a vault cannot sync via iCloud and Dropbox at the same time. In order to use Dropbox to share a vault with someone else, you'll need to be syncing that vault with Dropbox.

• do we need to create a new vault and share this then between both users? Or can the primary vault be shared?

Technically the Primary vault can be shared, but we don't recommend doing that. Instead, it's better for each user to keep their private (non-shared) data in their own Primary vault, and create a shared secondary vault for just the items they want to share with each other.

• can syncing with a folder be a solution?

Using the Folder sync option along with another third party sync service might work between different Macs (or user accounts on the same Mac), but wouldn't work with your iPhones, as 1Password for iOS doesn't support Folder sync.

• could we both sync using iCloud?

Yes, you can each sync your own Primary vault with iCloud - but as I mentioned above, you won't be able to share it with someone else. Each vault has its own sync settings, so you can sync your own Primary vault via iCloud, and sync/share a secondary vault via Dropbox.

Hopefully this helps, but if you have more questions about that, please let us know. Cheers! :)

• Schwarzlinger
    Schwarzlinger
    Community Member

Drew.

Thank you very much. I appreciate your patience when it comes to vaults and syncing. The way you explained opened my eyes. I have set it up already as you suggested and it works fine.

Best regards
    Philipp

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Schwarzlinger

On behalf of Drew, you're very welcome! It's great to hear that it's all clear now and working. I hope that everything goes well for you with 1Password from now on, but if you ever need us again you know where to find us :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.