Concern about Dropbox sync on iMac

vallausa
vallausa
Community Member

Hello,

I'm sure you're already aware about this "Discovering how Dropbox hacks your iMac" and that "Dropbox hasn't learned their lesson".

I've stopped using Dropbox for any syncing or sharing propuses, and I don't trust iCould either.

How and where do you recommend to sync my 1Password vault?

Thanks! :)

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:dropbox security imac

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

If you don't want to use Dropbox or iCloud there are a couple of options.

WLAN sync (previously called Wifi sync) from a Mac to iOS devices (Not sure if Android also works), but this does not work between two Macs (or Mac and Windows).

Folder sync between two computers, though this can be a bit of an effort.

Move to the new(ish) subscription model, which is cloud-based on AgileBits servers, and is very easy. See https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/68576/whats-the-difference-between-a-1password-subscription-and-a-standalone-license#latest for more info.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @vallausa

I see that Danco here has given you all your options! If you don't want your data to ever leave your network then WLAN sync is the answer. It can only be done from a desktop (Mac or Windows) to a mobile (iOS or Android). If you have more devices then you can do some gymnastics and turn it off an and on to keep them all in sync, however this can cause some trouble.

Folder sync is considered an advanced (and more technically difficult) way to sync your data. In this case it's up to you to keep the folder in Sync using either the cloud service you do trust or a USB.

Finally, in our new subscription model your data is stored on our servers so you only need to sing into your account and it's all there. If you want to know more details about how we keep it all safe with this method you can take a look at this page or ask us any questions here that you have :chuffed:

Please let us know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else that we can help you with!

This discussion has been closed.