Marie_Buck41
Marie_Buck41
Community Member

why is my 1password opening without asking for the master password

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Why is my 1password opening without asking for the master password

Comments

• Marie_Buck41
    Marie_Buck41
    Community Member

I don't understand all the questions you are asking, please just answer my question

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Marie_Buck41,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help!

why is my 1password opening without asking for the master password

Without knowing more about your setup or the steps you're taking, I'm afraid there's no easy answer for that. However, if you're launching the main 1Password app and expect to be asked for your master password, and instead it's unlocked and you can see all your data there, my first guess is that you had already unlocked it. For example, if you unlocked the 1Password browser extension or 1Password mini, that will also unlock the main app even if it's not open at the time (they're all connected to the same database).

Or, maybe you launched the main 1Password app, unlocked it, and then closed it - depending on how you've set the Security settings in 1Password, closing the main app doesn't necessarily lock it. You can check that by opening the app and going to 1Password > Preferences in the menubar, then selecting the Security tab. One of the Auto-lock settings there is "Lock when main window is closed". If that option is un-checked/disabled, 1Password will not immediately lock itself when you close/quit the app.

I'm not sure if any of that answers your question, though. If not, we'll need to know more information, which I think ties into your second post:

I don't understand all the questions you are asking, please just answer my question

Are you referring to the questions about your 1Password version, Extension version, and so on? You're not required to give us those details when posting a message, and we can sometimes answer questions without knowing any of that. But most of the time, it's very helpful information and makes it easier for us to answer questions and solve problems.

In this case, if 1Password doesn't seem to be locking itself when you think it should, we'll need to know some more information:

• What version of OS X / macOS are you running on your Mac?
    • What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on your Mac?
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • If you open the main app and go to 1Password > Preferences > Security, which options are checked/unchecked under the Auto-lock section?
    • Before launching 1Password and seeing that it's unlocked, when was the last time you had unlocked it?
    • Also, before this happens, had you recently used 1Password mini / browser extension?
    • If you reboot your Mac and then open the main 1Password app, is it locked?

Once we know those details, we should have a better idea of how to help. Thanks in advance! :)

• Marie_Buck41
    Marie_Buck41
    Community Member

Thank you for your response, the problem was in the security settings in preferences.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Marie_Buck41

On behalf of Drew you're very welcome! I'm glad to hear that you were able to sort this out and that 1Password is back to being safe :chuffed: I hope that everything goes well for you from now on, but if you bump into any trouble we're always here for you!

This discussion has been closed.