macOS Sierra and 1Password 6 Mini - my shortcut keys stopped working

DarkAthena76
DarkAthena76
Community Member

Prior to the upgrade to Sierra, I used OPT+CMD+\ to launch 1Password Mini. It worked flawlessly. After the upgrade, it wouldn't launch when I pressed my keys. I opened 1Password Preferences and attempted to rebind my keys. I got the error "Command-C is reserved for the menu item Copy". I verified that I hadn't lost my mind and was, in fact, pressing OPT+CMD+\ instead of CMD+C, and I was. For some reason, 1Password is detecting my years-old keybindings as CMD+C instead of what they are.

I disabled ALL the keyboard shortcuts in System Preferences and Alfred to negate any potential conflicts, yet I'm still getting that error. What's going on? Is it Sierra or 1Password? How do I get my keybindings back? I've got years of muscle memory, and while I'm kludging along with OPT+\, it's not as fun.

Thanks in advance!

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: macOS Sierra 10.12
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:shortcut keys not working mini viewer

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016

Hi @DarkAthena76,

I'm sorry you're running into such an odd issue with the keyboard shortcut for 1Password mini! We'll do our best to help you get that working correctly again.

I think you might be experiencing two separate problems: using the keyboard shortcut, and trying to reset that shortcut in the 1Password settings. The keyboard shortcut works on my own Mac (also running Sierra), but I was able to reproduce the problem trying to clear & re-enter ⌥⌘\ as the shortcut in 1Password > Preferences > General.

After trying (with no luck) to re-enter that keyboard shortcut, I read your message again and noticed you said you use Alfred, which I also use. I tried quitting Alfred from its icon in the menubar, and then the 1Password settings worked correctly. I'm not sure if that means this is an Alfred bug or a 1Password bug, but I'll let our developers know about this so they can look into it. In the meantime, just follow these steps to set the shortcut to open mini:

• Click the Alfred icon in the menubar and choose Quit.
    • Open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences > General.
    • Click in the field next to 'Show 1Password mini' and enter ⌥⌘\ (option+command+backslash).
    • Assuming that works, you can re-launch Alfred.

Once you do that, I'm not sure if you'll still have trouble using that shortcut to open 1Password mini or not. If you do, please try rebooting your Mac to see if that makes a difference. Let us know how it all goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

ref: OPM-4413

• DarkAthena76
    DarkAthena76
    Community Member

I followed your suggestions and, after quitting Alfred 3, was able to reset my keyboard shortcut. It works! Yay! Thank you, kind Sir.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DarkAthena76

On behalf of Drew, you're very welcome! I'm glad to hear that you were able to restore the shortcut you know and are used to :chuffed: I hope that everything works well for you from now on, but if you need help with anything else, we're always here for you!

This discussion has been closed.