Would like to program a few keystokes to generate complicated master PW on a MAC.

dtintle
dtintle
Community Member

Running MacBook Pro (2015) with Sierra installed (newest OS). Have PW 6.3.3 and it works fine. I am trying to make it easier to input the Master Password when opening 1PW. I would like to be able to select a sequence of keystones (4 or so) and have it generate my Master Password in 1PW. Since the Master PW is letters, numbers, and symbols, it is difficult to remember. So if a few keystrokes could generate the Master PW, that would simply things. (I would leave a few digits out of the Master PW that get's recalled just in case someone figured out my scheme, but they would have to have access to my MAC in the first place).

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: 4.5.9
OS Version: OS X 10.12
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: forum-search:Would like to program a few keystokes to generate complicated master PW on a MAC.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016

Hi @dtintle,

Thanks for writing in with your request!

When you say you want to 'generate' a master password, do you mean you want to create a brand new password, similar to how you might use the Password Generator option to create a new password for a website?

Or are you saying you'd like to type a shortcut that expands into your full master password in order to unlock 1Password? It sounds like this is what your request is, but I wanted to ask just to be sure.

The problem with being able to type a shortcut that expands to your full master password is that it would require your master password to be stored (possibly in plain text) somewhere on your Mac. Part of what makes 1Password so secure is that your master password isn't stored anywhere, except for in your own memory. Having it stored on your Mac would make it much less secure.

If your current master password is difficult to remember, the best solution would be to change it to one that is memorable as well as strong. For example, the Password Generator option in 1Password mini has a "Words" setting which generates strong pass phrases that consist of randomly chosen words. We have more tips for creating a strong & memorable master password here: How do I choose a good Master Password?

Instructions to change your master password can be found here: Change or recover your Master Password

I hope this helps, but if you have questions about that or need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know. Cheers! :)

• dtintle
    dtintle
    Community Member

Yes, I would like to type a shortcut that expands into the Master PW, but after reading your response, I'm rethinking that. I did not know about the "Words" setting which I will investigate. I will also look into the links you provided. Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome, I'm glad my reply was helpful! We're here for you if you need more help with 1Password. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.