where is the 1Password sync file on icloud?

devananda
devananda
Community Member

where is the 1Password sync file on icloud? I don't see it on my Macbook nor do I see it when log into my iCloud account on a browser. Is it invisible? When syncing via Dropbox I can see a folder and a file inside the folder.

Thanks for your support,

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: 4.5.9
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: forum-search:icloud

Comments

• Hi @devananda,

1Password uses iCloud to sync, but not iCloud Drive. iCloud is kind of a generic term that Apple uses for many cloud based services. 1Password doesn't use iCloud Drive to sync your data, but it does use "CloudKit" which is part of the iCloud service.

The CloudKit service itself doesn't have any mechanism available to directly browse the data that has been uploaded to it under your Apple ID. This is why we include a "Reset iCloud Data" in the troubleshooting menu.

Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Rudy

• devananda
    devananda
    Community Member

thanks for clear explanation. I was wondering because in dropbox I could see the agilebits file. So, there's no way of seeing the file? I was wondering b/c on my iOS device it was taking a long time to sync. It seemed to be stuck with the sync icons rotating. And when I navigate to the sync options it says "syncing..." even though everything is up to date.

Thanks for your support,

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @devananda,

On behalf of Rudy, you're very welcome!

So, there's no way of seeing the file?

That's correct. Although CloudKit is a way to sync data between different devices via your iCloud account, it doesn't really store that data as "files" in the same way that Dropbox or iCloud Drive does. So there isn't a way to browse that data directly in your iCloud account.

I was wondering b/c on my iOS device it was taking a long time to sync. It seemed to be stuck with the sync icons rotating. And when I navigate to the sync options it says "syncing..." even though everything is up to date.

Does it still say "syncing" now? Also, when it was taking a long time to sync, had you just set up iCloud to sync 1Password for the first time? That will take longer the first time because it has to copy your entire vault to (or from) the device. And if you happen to have a lot of attachments in your vault, that will also take time (depending on how large those attachments are, of course).

If it keeps showing "syncing" on iOS, try adding a new item to 1Password on your Mac and/or your iOS device, then see if it syncs from one to the other. If it does, it sounds like it's working correctly.

We're happy to help if there's a problem though, so just let us know! :)

This discussion has been closed.