New to Families, but can't figure out why my passwords aren't "syncing"

Options
mdawley
mdawley
Community Member

I have been a 1Passwords fan for years, and now convincing my family to make the switch. So, I am the designated "Organizer"!!

I set up our Family account just fine, then moved over all my data into the Personal account with ease. So far so good. Still on my app, I set up a new vault and entered in (manually as my family kept passwords in a large notebook) all the passwords....about 100 and counting so far. I also set up my family with a Master password.

Next, I installed the 1Password app on her Windows machine (WIN 7, 1Password 6 beta). I logged in with HER master password and nothing shows up. Kinda confused....all her passwords show up on my app on my Macbook pro (where I entered them), but how do they get to HER Windows laptop?

I also installed the 1Password app on her iPhone, and also same. So, I am confused at what I am doing wrong.......

Thanks! Excited to use the product, but need help over this hurdle.

PS She asks me to do a lot of updating passwords, etc, so I need to have access to her vault and know that when I update her "stuff" on my Macbook, it will also show up (correctly updated) in her vault when she opens the app on the phone or her Windows laptop.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @mdawley,

Thanks for taking the time to write in!

Only your account has access to your Personal vault, so if that is where you've stored her information that would explain why only you can see it.

It sounds like, to achieve the result you've described, you'd need to set up a shared vault to store her information in. You'd designate access to said vault for both her account and your account. You'd then store all of her items in that vault.

How to create family and team vaults and share items

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• mdawley
    mdawley
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,
    And thanks for the quick repsonse.

I have "my" vault set up as a Personal vault. I have "her" vault also set up as a Personal vault, but in the admin panel, both of us have access to "her" vault. So, I have a total of two vaults, both are Personal.

If I understand this correctly, I have to set her up as a Shared vault? Only then will our passwords be in sync? It won't work now as I currently have set up?

Thanks again for any help.

• Ben
    Options

I have "my" vault set up as a Personal vault. I have "her" vault also set up as a Personal vault, but in the admin panel, both of us have access to "her" vault. So, I have a total of two vaults, both are Personal.

You may want to double check that, because that isn't possible. Each account can only have access to one (their own) Personal vault.

If I understand this correctly, I have to set her up as a Shared vault? Only then will our passwords be in sync? It won't work now as I currently have set up?

Correct. If items all live in Personal vaults you'll never see each other's items.

Ben

• mdawley
    mdawley
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I switched to Shared and all is well.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Ben, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.