How do I remedy excessive memory use by 1Password?

cboettcher
cboettcher
Community Member

1Password becomes slow and sluggish, with keyboard input not being recognized until well after a key is pressed. When I last checked Activity Monitor while this was happening, it indicated that memory used was at 658 MB. On a whim, I tried emptying the trash, but that didn't help.

When I quit the app and restart it, it occupies ~60 MB.

I've got about 640 items. I don't use the browser extension (though it seems to run in the background anyway) and I don't sync.

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: OS X 10.11.16
Sync Type: N/A
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:lag, kb:undefined, kb-search:slow

Comments

• cboettcher
    cboettcher
    Community Member

One thing I forgot to mention is that 1Password mini is running (and respawns if I try to kill it) even though I've deselected the option to keep it in memory in 1Password preferences.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cboettcher,

I'm sorry 1Password is working slowly and using so much memory! We'll help to figure this out one way or another.

First, I wanted to explain that even though you've disabled the option to always keep 1Password mini running, it will still run whenever you open the main 1Password app. So what you're seeing there is normal. Mini is basically the "brains" of 1Password, and the main app needs mini to be running in order for it to work. That setting is for whether or not mini runs while the main app is closed. Sorry for the confusion about that!

Now, as far as the memory usage, can you please try rebooting your Mac to see if it makes any difference? Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.