Family Account and single local vault

rctneil
rctneil
Community Member

Hey,

Just managed to delete my now empty old Primary vault from 1Password leaving me with only my vaults from my Family account which is great.

...However

I want to create a local vault called "Emergency" which is DropBox synced which I can store my Emergency kit. I enabled access in the Advanced tab to create local vaults, it created one but I wanted to change it's name. I synced it into DropBox, disabled the sync, deleted it from 1Password, renamed the DB file to "Emergency.opvault" and tried to open it but 1Password will not let me. I tried to re enable local vault creation but keeps making me a new local vault called "Primary".

All i'm after is a single local vault called "Emergency" that is DB synced and then the rest of my vaults on my 1PW Family account.

In the words of Jeremy Clarkson: "How hard can it be?"

Neil

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rctneil

I'm sorry to hear that has been some confusion with 1Password. If you decide to use local vaults you need to have the Primary Vault set up. It is not possible to just have a local vault Emergency :( If you want to keep a local vault for your Emergency Kit you can do so on the Primary Vault. Keeping this vault with your Emergency Kit in Dropbox sounds like a good idea :chuffed:

Please let us know what you think about this alternate option and if there's anything else that we can help you with!

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member

So there is no way of renaming that local vault? I just don;t want it called "Primary" as it is not a "Primary" vault. It'll be my "Emergency" vault!

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member

I've just made the new local vault, leaving it called "Primary" until I can find a way of renaming it and copied my Emergency kit document item over. I switched to the "Primary" vault to find it empty. I know the reason (Document items not being available for local vaults) but it did allow me to copy it over. Is this item still around somewhere? Surely I should be able to move items freely between Account vaults and local vaults?

I know several workarounds for this such as creating a secure note and adding the pdf as an attachment, finding a solution here is not what i'm asking for. It's just I keep finding all these small little issues which are super annoying between local and account vaults.

I thought the aim of 1PW was to keep things as simple as possible. I consider myself an advanced user being a dev myself and aiming for simplicity in what I create but I do find myself becoming confused with the way 1PW is working recently.

Kind regards,
    Neil

• @rctneil Good question. Naming of vaults outside accounts is only possible during creation right now. I'll let the team know you're looking for it post-setup as well.

ref: OPM-900

I've just made the new local vault, leaving it called "Primary" until I can find a way of renaming it and copied my Emergency kit document item over. I switched to the "Primary" vault to find it empty. I know the reason (Document items not being available for local vaults) but it did allow me to copy it over. Is this item still around somewhere? Surely I should be able to move items freely between Account vaults and local vaults?

This is a limitation at the moment. Copying a Document to a local vault isn't supported because, as you mentioned, Documents aren't available in local vaults. We're hoping to solve this in the future by either adding Document support to vaults outside accounts somehow converting them to items with attachments. For now, I'd recommend creating an item like you did and attaching the PDF to it.

I'm sorry there's been quite a bit of trouble with local <-> account vault interaction. They are very different, and making them happier in the same room is something we want to do in the future. We're focusing on making account vaults as functional as possible right now, and ensuring the apps support them as they should. Details like this will come later on.

Quite simply, we don't recommend using local vaults and accounts at the same time. It's not necessary. Accounts should be the entire 1Password experience you need. For your specific case in this thread, I'd recommend storing a hard copy of your Emergency Kit somewhere, and also putting it on a USB drive that only you have. That's much better than a separate vault in 1Password where the Emergency Kit alone lives. I'd be happy to suggest some other things if you share why you're storing the Emergency Kit this way now. :)

Also, thank you so much for saying this:

In the words of Jeremy Clarkson: "How hard can it be?"

:lol: I'm very, very excited for The Grand Tour.

This discussion has been closed.