Website Icons not displayed

PaoloD
PaoloD
Community Member

1Password for Mac (6.3.3) doesn't show the icon for some website: not all, only some of them. I tried to check if some of that websites have an icon and yes, they have. But 1Password ignores them.
In older versions of 1Password there was a button to force icons update, but I can't find it anymore.

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: 4.5.9
OS Version: OSX 10.12
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:icons

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PaoloD

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with your Rich Icons. Could you please try the next thing and see if it helps? Go to the 1Password menu and Click on Preferences. Then go to General and disable "Use Rich Icons". You'll see that all your icons disappear. Fully restart 1Password or even better your computer if you're up for it. Go to Preferences again enable "Use Rich Icons" and see if that helps get the rest of the icons working :chuffed:

Please let us know what you find out and what happens to your rich icons when you've tried this :chuffed:

• PaoloD
    PaoloD
    Community Member

HI @PIlar!
    Thanks for your answer.
    I followed your instructions: disable Rich Icons option, restart my Mac and then enable again. Almost all the icons are displayed correctly. So I try to investigate the ones that are not: some of them refer to a web site without icon, so this situation is OK. Some others at contrary refer the a web site with an icon but 1Passwrd ignores them. An example: https://www.amicoblu.it. As you can see the website has a blue icona with an "M", but 1Password displays the general icon (the grey one with the lock).
    This is not the only one case.

• Thanks for the update! Glad to hear the Rich Icons are now displaying. Some websites have yet to get Rich Icons. We usually add them on a per-request basis if there's a lot of interest. AmicoBlu doesn't have one right now because of this. I'd be happy to let the team know you're interested in it though.

In the meantime, you can add icons of your own to any item. Simply edit the item and double-click the icon. Then choose Other and navigate to the icon in Finder. :) Hope that helps!

ref: AGW-337

• PaoloD
    PaoloD
    Community Member

So, if I have understood correctly, Rich Icons aren't the web site's icon, but an image that you create for every URL?
    Wouldn't it be easier getting the website's icon?
    In this way you do not have to add by request.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PaoloD,

So, if I have understood correctly, Rich Icons aren't the web site's icon, but an image that you create for every URL?

No, we don't create websites' icons ourselves, we use the actual icons from websites. But the 1Password app doesn't download the icons directly from the websites themselves - instead, the icons are downloaded from the websites to our own image server, and the 1Password app downloads them from there.

Currently, we're adding icons manually as they're requested, but it hasn't always been that way. We have tens of thousands of rich icons saved for different domains, and we certainly didn't add them all manually. ;) The process is manual right now, but we hope to make it an automatic process again at some point - that hasn't happened yet because we've been focussed on other projects which have taken priority.

In the meantime, if you have a Login item without a rich icon, you can manually add a custom icon if you'd like.

Wouldn't it be easier getting the website's icon?
    In this way you do not have to add by request.

We tried this in 1Password 3, which had a server built into the app that would try to find icons for a URL in a Login item and download them directly. Unfortunately that didn't work very well because of firewalls, proxy servers, and all sorts of other things that could interfere. By using our own image server starting in 1Password 4, we're able to avoid that. Although it means a few Logins might be missing icons, it works better overall.

If you have more questions about that or something else, just let us know! :)

• DanBrotsky
    DanBrotsky
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG,

Any update on re-enabling automatic icon refreshes on the 1Password server? If not, how do we request one to be added to the queue? I'd love to see one for the San Francisco Asian Art Museum (asianart.org).

• Hi, @DanBrotsky.

No update there yet, I'm sorry. At this point adding your own custom icon is the only option. We're looking forward to automating the icons once again in the future. :)

This discussion has been closed.